Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: STILL CHASING THE GHOST

1. Back To Top    #1

STILL CHASING THE GHOST

I've been chasing down a small air leak but not luck--yet--
    When first starting air appears to come in from under the basket lid.After being off for a period air appears to come from farther down the basket container. During running bubbles appear to be drawn in from lid. When off it takes 10 to 15 minutes for one bubble to come up (approx.size of quarter).I haven't lost prime in the last week but still have air in the basket each morning.
    Here's what I've checked so far.
    1. new gasket on basket lid (I have another gasket to try if anyone thinks the last one may be bad,,how do I tell??)
    2. unhooked liquidator ball gauge but bubbles continued to appeared.Water is still in gauge in the mornig after pump off all night.

3. Pinched hose between liquidator and pump and held to see if bubbles would stop,they didnt. 4.covered all pipe connections with tape to see if one of them was possibly leaking, no luck
    5.Checked wier door for smooth operation, it moves without effort
    From my very limited experience the problem should be the lid gaket or lid itself. It is 4 years old. Should I go ahead and change the gasket once again just to be sure of it?? I see no cracks in the lid. There is absolutely no water leaks in the system. Pad is dry as my yard, we're having a real dry spell at the moment! Any directions could sure be used,I've 'bout ran out of ideas,even though I'm sure it's something small and simple...
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: STILL CHASING THE GHOST

What about the drain plugs on the strainer basket?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Using one drain plug for liquidator-- I have teflon tape on threads(couple wraps) and put an 0 ring on it also,,same for the one drain plug left in. I put tape around it to see if that helped but it didnt, i can change it though,got a few spares.
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

4. Back To Top    #4

If this helps mine was not holding the water in the basket after shut off. I tightened my ring on top of the sand filter. that solved it
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks mikeginder i'll check the ring

6. Back To Top    #6

Sometimes, suction leaks can be found using running water from a garden hose. Let the water flow onto suspected areas, and watch the bubbles. If the bubbles stop, you're flooding the leaking area with water.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]