Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: another cloudy water thread

1. Back To Top    #1

another cloudy water thread

sorry to ask yet another cloudy water question, but after almost 2 months of perfect water my pool went cloudy from yesterday into today.
    i vaccumed the floor, (litttle green here and there) and kicked the pump into high gear this morning and added 184 oz of clorox. I suspect an overnight pump running will take care of things but maybe something im missing. as a side note, i cleaned my filter (less than 3 months of service) about 5 days ago using degreaser "purple stuff" I felt i THOUROUGHLY cleaned the filter, rinsing it many many times.

Heres my test results at 9am est

FC 7.5
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.4
    TA 110
    CH 240
    cya 30

at noon I checked the FC and it was up to 11 from adding the bleach this morning.

ive had the pump thumpin for about 5 hours now and it doesnt appear to be clearing up. its not terrible but I guess im spoiled with such awesome water. thanks for any input

justin
    27' above ground
    voyager cartridge
    2.25 hp hayward pump 2 speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: another cloudy water thread

What was the FC before you added the bleach?

I'd run the OCLT tonight just to be sure.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    What was the FC before you added the bleach?

I'd run the OCLT tonight just to be sure.
    I believe he did say 7.5 thats all I can help with in this thread though :P
    34000 Gallon Salt Water Pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Del60 Filter, Polaris 380 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know what OCLT means. But FC was at like 1.0 2 days ago which was never an issue. Perhaps with the sun and fun it got the best of me. Thanks for the replies
    27' above ground
    voyager cartridge

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by justin_huffman
    I don't know what OCLT means. But FC was at like 1.0 2 days ago which was never an issue. Perhaps with the sun and fun it got the best of me. Thanks for the replies
    Overnight Free Chlorine Loss Test

pool-school/overnight_fc_test
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

With the CYA at 30, 1ppm of FC is gonna get you sooner or later. Tag, you're it!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

But FC was at like 1.0 2 days ago which was never an issue.
    FC at 1 is an issue. 1ppm FC is not enough chlorine to keep algae from growing (which is the most likely suspect for cloudy water.)

Bama asked what the FC was before the bleach was added, because he suspects that the FC was low, and the reason for the algae growth leading to cloudy water. 7.5 is not near high enough to shock the pool and kill the algae. For CYA 30, you need to keep the chlorine level at 12 until you pass the OCLT.
    IG Plaster 20,000gal, attached spa w/ spillover, hayward C12002 cart filter, 1 1/2hp pump w/ polaris 360
    6/16/12 - PH 7.6, FC 6, CC 0, CYA 30, TA 80, Calcium 310

8. Back To Top    #8

You and me in the same boat, I am shocking doing OCLT overnight since yesterday, although my water is crystal clear, but still lost 3 points of FC overnight.
    34000 Gallon Salt Water Pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Del60 Filter, Polaris 380 Cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

ok thanks guys. im at 13 fc and will get my cya up today. im reading 60-70 a good number? i typically use 3.0 fc as a target but it dips occasionally. thanks again!!
    27' above ground
    voyager cartridge

10. Back To Top    #10

justin_huffman:

It appears you have a manually chlorinated pool (e.g., not SWG). If so, why are you trying to raise the CYA to 60-70? This will require higher FC levels to maintain your pool and even higher FC shock levels if you need to go through the shock process (see Chlorine/CYA Chart link in my sig). The ideal CYA for a manually chlorinated pool is 30-50 . With your CYA at 30 you are in range. Wouldn't increase it unless your FC loss is high during the day and you have tested and ruled out any organic contamination that would also consume FC (such as running and passing the OCLT). Much easier to add CYA than it is to reduce it if it gets too high.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

11. Back To Top    #11

Did you have a heavy bather load while your FC was 1.0?
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.