Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump input air leak - use silicone for temp fix?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump input air leak - use silicone for temp fix?

I've got another air leak, this time it's on the threads on the pump input. You can hear it whistling. Given the temps, heat index over 100s for the next few days, and how much I wanna use my pool (I'm on vacation), can I just use aquarium type silicone sealant around the leak/thread union for a temp fix? I was at lowes today for some other stuff and explained my problem to plumbing guy, he said to do this. I made sure he understood that it was a pool and the pressures/suction involved - he understood and said I should be good with aquarium silicone as it won't get sucked in.

I know the perm fix would be to redress/teflon tape the threads, but don't want to mess with it.

Thanks in advance.

-edit-
    Should I apply with pump on or off? google has told me conflicting answers.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump input air leak - use silicone for temp fix?

The sealant should be fine to use. Leave the pump running when applying it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response. I guess leaving the pump on will allow it to be drawn in ever so slightly. I'll put a good bead on there.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

That's the idea.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Seems to have worked.

WARNING: Do NOT get this stuff on your skin. I was working it in there with my fingers, big bead and globs on my fingers and hand. Took me 30 minutes of hard brush scrubbing with soap and mineral spirits to get it off. It was literaly quickly curing on my hand.