Leaks

SueB

Jul 4, 2012
I have a leak in In ground pool and think it's by the skimmers. The water seems to maintain itself at a certain level just above the bottom of the skimmer. I think it could be around the frame of the skimmer so I am interested in seeing how the frame is installed in a vinyl in-ground pool. Any help?

skimmer leaks

Water dropped 1 inch in a day. Closed all drains and it continued to drop 1/4 inch overnight. Never seems to go below a certain level just above the skimmer frame. I think there could be a leak around the frame cap of the skimmer!? 20 x 40 in ground pool vinyl pool. Any other ideas?

If you have an account on webshots or photobucket, upload things there, then post the link here.

Or, reply to this thread, use "full editor" (just below this reply box), and below that window it has another box for attachments. It's really no harder than attaching a file to an email. You might need to resize it if the file size is too big. And there's too many photo editting programs out there for me to explain all of those.

Richard320 said:
If you have an account on webshots or photobucket, upload things there, then post the link here.

Or, reply to this thread, use "full editor" (just below this reply box), and below that window it has another box for attachments. It's really no harder than attaching a file to an email. You might need to resize it if the file size is too big. And there's too many photo editting programs out there for me to explain all of those.

I know what you are speaking of as far as the screw plate but my pool was installed in 1983 and the cover is just a white square plate. I tried to send it but it was too big

Richard320 said:

I was wondering if we could silicon around the skimmer entrance to see if there are any leaks behind the plate... remember it's a solid white plate face, no screws. Is there a product to use that is water soluble as the lower half of the skimmer is still in the water, Sue

If you want to try and use silicone sealant you'll want to lower the water level to below the skimmer so you can dry it well before applying it.

I think that cover just snaps off the face plate and then you can see the screws. What you have is a faceplate vanity cover.

Try snapping the vanity cover off.

My first attempt would still be to try and tighten the screws a little.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
If you want to try and use silicone sealant you'll want to lower the water level to below the skimmer so you can dry it well before applying it.

I think that cover just snaps off the face plate and then you can see the screws. What you have is a faceplate vanity cover.

Try snapping the vanity cover off.

My first attempt would still be to try and tighten the screws a little.

Ok so I removed the cover, tightened the screws and it still fell about 1/4 inch last night from 4:30 to 8:00 this morning. Question..how would we cover the center drain to eliminate the possibility of it leaking from there? I have covered the others and there's no change. It is a separate drain to the pump. I have used the dye and there's no leakage from the side skimmers. We have yet to allow it to drop below this one point because I need to run the pump with this heat. I will try a 24 hour pump off and see what happens if it drops below the skimmer after the weekend, Sue

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.