Having Troubles Lowering PH

JTAG

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Babcock Ranch Florida
Pool is 2 week old ABG 17500 gal. filled with well water. I have added about 1.5 gal of Muriatic Acid and my PH is still off the chart. At least I assume its of the charts its a bright pink/red and seems to be closest in color to 8. Should I just keep adding the MA until it finally registers and then use the pool calculator?

Tested this morning using Taylor 2006
FC 3
PH 8+
CC 0
TA 320
CYA not registering yet just added more stabilizer waiting a week to test again, should be close to 40

Thanks JIm

Use the pool calculator and set pH NOW as 8 and GOAL 7.2.

Add the calculated amount of MA, circ 30 minutes, restest & adjust. Put the new pH # in the NOW column, but if still 8ish, use 8 again as the NOW and 7.2 again as Goal, and add the same amount of MA as the last calculation. Continue testing & adjusting until it comes down. Use the Pool Calculator!

I'll make it a trifecta: Keep adding acid.

Anything over 8.2 will show as 8.2. It will eventually come down. Your test kit has the acid demand test, use that to prove to yourself that the sample can turn orange. But use Pool Calculator to figure dosage, it's more accurate.

I'm still having a heck of a time getting PH down. Since fill 2 weeks ago I have added 4 jugs of MA. Sometimes I look like I'm close 7.7 I add the calculator amount check next day and PH is above 8 again. I have been monitoring the pool every morning and before sunset. Do I just keep adding MA or is something else wrong. Is there a best time of day to check PH.

Thanks for the help Jim

As Jason said your TA is driving up your pH and the acid will reduce both. When lowering the pH shoot for 7.2 every time. You can test your pH 30 minutes after adding muriatic acid and if it isn't down close to 7.2 add more acid. Eventually the TA will come down and the pH will stabilize.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.