Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Having Troubles Lowering PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Having Troubles Lowering PH

Pool is 2 week old ABG 17500 gal. filled with well water. I have added about 1.5 gal of Muriatic Acid and my PH is still off the chart. At least I assume its of the charts its a bright pink/red and seems to be closest in color to 8. Should I just keep adding the MA until it finally registers and then use the pool calculator?

Tested this morning using Taylor 2006
    FC 3
    PH 8+
    CC 0
    TA 320
    CYA not registering yet just added more stabilizer waiting a week to test again, should be close to 40

Thanks JIm
    17500 gallon Sharkline Morada PUR RTR 18X40 54 tall, 1.5 Hayward cartridge filter,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Having Troubles Lowering PH

I always use the pool calculator so I know I am adding the proper amt. whether I am adding bleach, borax or muriatic acid.

It takes less than a minute and I feel confident on how much and what I am adding.
    18,000 Gallons 16x32 In Ground Vinyl
    Purex Triton TR-60 Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1-1/2 HP (P/N 340039)
    MiniMax Gas Heater * Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend
    Coverstar Automatic Cover * Built in 1993

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Should I just keep adding the MA until it finally registers and then use the pool calculator?
    Yes. Regardless of the amount of acid it takes, it is important that your pH get down into the 7's and then stay there.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Use the pool calculator and set pH NOW as 8 and GOAL 7.2.

Add the calculated amount of MA, circ 30 minutes, restest & adjust. Put the new pH # in the NOW column, but if still 8ish, use 8 again as the NOW and 7.2 again as Goal, and add the same amount of MA as the last calculation. Continue testing & adjusting until it comes down. Use the Pool Calculator!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll make it a trifecta: Keep adding acid.

Anything over 8.2 will show as 8.2. It will eventually come down. Your test kit has the acid demand test, use that to prove to yourself that the sample can turn orange. But use Pool Calculator to figure dosage, it's more accurate.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm still having a heck of a time getting PH down. Since fill 2 weeks ago I have added 4 jugs of MA. Sometimes I look like I'm close 7.7 I add the calculator amount check next day and PH is above 8 again. I have been monitoring the pool every morning and before sunset. Do I just keep adding MA or is something else wrong. Is there a best time of day to check PH.

Thanks for the help Jim
    17500 gallon Sharkline Morada PUR RTR 18X40 54 tall, 1.5 Hayward cartridge filter,

7. Back To Top    #7

Your TA started out very high. Rapid PH increases will continue until the TA level comes down to something more reasonable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

As Jason said your TA is driving up your pH and the acid will reduce both. When lowering the pH shoot for 7.2 every time. You can test your pH 30 minutes after adding muriatic acid and if it isn't down close to 7.2 add more acid. Eventually the TA will come down and the pH will stabilize.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks again for the help, I will stay the course and continue to test and dose.