Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Diving Board Base Anchor Broken

Diving Board Base Anchor Broken

Ok, my SR Smith Flyte Deck base cracked in the back. It appears that it was due to the original installer not installing fender washers. As a result the nuts/lockwashers on the board finally came through the stand.

While soaking the stand nuts with penetrating fluid (very very rusted) and periodically hitting them with an impact wrench one of the frame bolts separated at the surface of the pool deck.

The cheapest and easiest method seems to be to buy the SR Smith epoxy anchor kit. and get a whole new base to bolt my old board to. But I'm not sure how much longer a 20 year old board can be expected to last.

I would love to get some advise on best method for installation and selection of base/board, based on the following:
    - The board is about 20 years old
    - It is an 8 ft board (should I go 6' if I'm going to epoxy the anchors?)
    - Pool is large enough for a 10' board (per SR Smith guides)
    - It seems that people here are not fond of the epoxied anchors (has anyone here used them, or has anyone seen them fail?)
    - I've gone salt and was thinking of the new SR Smith salt board may not have the rusting problems in the future
    - I'd really like a springier board, the old flyte deck and the Fiber-Dive board was pretty stiff
    17' x 32' 20k gal IGP Vinyl
    SWG, Pentair Inteliflo VF, Sand filter
    Polaris with booster pump

Re: Diving Board Base Anchor Broken

OK, so I drilled 6 more holes under the base and mounted them with 4.25" Red Head expansion anchors....

Will let everyone know if they fail...

A lot is going to depend on how much use and abuse the diving board gets. My pool is 31 years old and is now on its 3rd diving board (also 8 ft), the first one failed after about 10 years of moderate use, when a 250 pound man was jumping off of it and it snapped in half. The second board was replaced last year as it was showing signs of stress cracks in the fiberglass, and someone heard about a newer 2 or 3 year old board of the same size that was available for free, it had been in storage for about half its life after being removed from service after an diving accident. Note I am not particularly fond of the idea of diving boards, as they are a real safety concern, if it would have been up to just me I would probably have used the cracks as a excuse remove the diving board and not to buy a replacement.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 36,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis panel roof top solar heat with Aquasolar controller, Dolphin Diagnostic Pro Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and soon to be connected UV Ozonator and now Hot Spring Jetsetter standalone spa
    I use and endorse the TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net

Quote Originally Posted by Fronobulax
    OK, so I drilled 6 more holes under the base and mounted them with 4.25" Red Head expansion anchors....

How do you plan on bonding?
    16'X36' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Autopilot DIG-220
    Aquacal Heat Pump
    Polaris 9300

Quote Originally Posted by scottbo1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronobulax

How do you plan on bonding?
    Forgive me, but bonding?

Your diving board needs to be connected to the bonding grid.

http://tinyurl.com/bm5ewes
    16'X36' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Autopilot DIG-220
    Aquacal Heat Pump
    Polaris 9300

Are you referring to the ground plane bonding? Or just the support provided by the original mounting jig?

Looks like they're talking about bonding the frame and anchors to the equipotential bonding loop. The original location should have been bonded through the anchors.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

I think I'm reasonably OK on grounding as only one of the original bolts in the stand broke. If there is a one piece jig that tied the original three bolts together, the remaining two bolts should be on the same electrical plane as before. If the original installation did not ground the diving board then I'm just as unsafe as I've ever been...

Quick question though. I've never seen a unfinished pool. Do they actually make a metal circle/cable/wire around the pool and attach everything to that
    single plane or "equipotential bonding loop" (ladders, frame, board, grounding rod, etc)?

That's what they're supposed to do. One loop with every conductive piece connected to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.