Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Strange ladder question

1. Back To Top    #1

Strange ladder question

I have a question for those of you who have had and AGP for a while. I've noticed lately that every single stinging insect known to man likes - no wait - LOVES my pool ladder. They buzz around and land on my ladder all day long. Honey bees, hornets, wasps, yellow jackets, etc. Sometimes it gets to the point where I have to swat away 3-4 different stinging insects just so that my son can get in and out of the pool. It's also not very nice having them so close to where we are swimming.

Has anyone else experienced this? These things are specifically attracted to the ladder. Does anyone have any ideas why? I know bees are attracted to bright colors, but it seems to involve more than this. They seem to care less about the deck, pool, or anything else around but they swarm around the ladder.
    24' X 54" Sharkline Matrix AGP ~ 15,200 gallon
    1.5 HP Dynamo Dual Speed ran 24/7 at low speed w/250lb. SD60 Pentair Sand Filter
    Plumbed with PVC - buried.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Strange ladder question

I do not have this. I do get all sorts of flying bugs, including both bees in my water, but I think their interest is the water. I also have a lot of wasps in my yard but they pay little attention to the pool, at least when we are out there. None of the fliers hang out at the ladder. Your signature shows the pool is partially buried, but does not indicate if you have a deck at all. I'd wonder if there are nests either in the ground (some wasps do this, and I've had bees with homes at ground level near a landscape rock) or under a deck or underside of pool rail. Good luck!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, if they're hanging out in one particular area - I'd look for nests nearby.
    AG, 10,400 gallons, filter cartridge, 2HP pump
    Coffeegoddss...bonafide thread killer!
    POOL SCHOOL...fortheloveofgawd, read POOL SCHOOL

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks all. Well, we live pretty much out in the middle of the woods now because the subdivision is not developed yet so it's likely that all types of nests are everywhere around here. There is a deck around the pool, so it's also likely that there are some of these things living under the deck. But their interest seems to be centered around the ladder. They seem to care less about anything else out there. They do not bother us at all, I just don't like the idea of them buzzing around so close to where we are swimming, especially with a 2 year old around.
    1.5 HP Dynamo Dual Speed ran 24/7 at low speed w/250lb. SD60 Pentair Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

What color is the ladder? I've heard wiping a little WD-40 on things will stop them but I wouldn't do that. Maybe wiping it with a bleach solution.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

On ehow.com it suggest using dryer sheets around the pool area. Maybe you could try and attach them by taping them or using some twine. I think I may try this as we are getting them on the top rails.
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    What color is the ladder? I've heard wiping a little WD-40 on things will stop them but I wouldn't do that. Maybe wiping it with a bleach solution.
    Sorry - the ladder is white. Bright white. I figured this may be part of the problem. We spent some time out there today and I didn't see any. Go figure. For the last couple of weeks they have been out there every day.

On ehow.com it suggest using dryer sheets around the pool area. Maybe you could try and attach them by taping them or using some twine. I think I may try this as we are getting them on the top rails.
    Yeah. I've walked around the pool and noticed a couple of wasps nests hanging in or around the pool rails and deck. I think I'm going to order some of those "mock" wasp nests and hang them around. Wasps are territorial, so if they see another "nest" close by they will not build one in the immediate vicinity.