Opinions please on my new pool about FC usage!

supertune

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2011
Clearwater, FL.
OK,
I have the new pool up and running about 3 weeks, been here over a year and pool is setup very well with my #'s currently at 6:30 pm. Sunset is about 8:15.
FC 4
CC 0 to .5 always
TC 4 -4.5
pH stays pegged at 7.5
TA 100
CH 220
CYA 40-45
Salt 510
No borates YET! (thinking about 30-50ppm?)
Pool water temps really high, saw 91*degrees F today, average about 88* degrees.
90-96*F outside temps this past 5-6 days.
Pool see's about 85% sun daily, with heavy bather load daily about 3-5 hours (3-4 kids and 2-3 adults)
Pool is perfect, clear, sparkly, and passes all three tests anytime I check it.
I'm in Clearwater, FL.
Fill water was about 170 TA, took the pH down to 7.2 a few times and aerate back up to 7.5, the pH is not rising anymore now.
Pool is pretty close to 12,750 gallons from what I can tell from dosing with 10% liquid chlorine working with the pool calculator.
I'm dosing up to 8ppm at nightfall (72oz) and by the sunset next day, about 22 hrs later, I'm down to 3-3.5ppm CL everyday at test time. I'm averaging 4.5-5 ppm loss every day. I'm thinking that is close, but more than I thought I would lose, but with all of this going on with sun, heat, and bather load...
Pump has been running 24/7 since the fill day and added 5 lbs CYA in sock over the return.
The day after fill I shocked up to 24PPM held for 2 days and passed all 3 tests.
Do I go up to 50-55 CYA and add borates to the pool to not use as much chlorine?
What's your experience and advice?

Dosing at 72 oz daily of 10% liquid Chlorine.
I can always drain if I don't want/like the CYA that high if i try going there.

Thanks
Chuck
100_8181%20resize.JPG

100_8185%20resize.JPG

I don't think you are loosing that much chlorine. It is not uncommon to loose 40-60% of your chlorine daily.

How much direct sun do you get?

Assuming a lot of sun, then that, your pool temperature and high bather load are going to use up chlorine.

I would push your cya up to ~50 ppm (or maybe 55) and try that for awhile before attempting to much higher.

Borates are not going to change how much chlorine you use.

I agree with linen. YOu obviously have a great grasp of the chemistry. I would up the CYA to 55ppm or so and let things settle out. I'll bet you end up losing around 3ppm daily with the increased CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.