Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opinions please on my new pool about FC usage!

1. Back To Top    #1

Opinions please on my new pool about FC usage!

OK,
    I have the new pool up and running about 3 weeks, been here over a year and pool is setup very well with my #'s currently at 6:30 pm. Sunset is about 8:15.
    FC 4
    CC 0 to .5 always
    TC 4 -4.5
    pH stays pegged at 7.5
    TA 100
    CH 220
    CYA 40-45
    Salt 510
    No borates YET! (thinking about 30-50ppm?)
    Pool water temps really high, saw 91*degrees F today, average about 88* degrees.
    90-96*F outside temps this past 5-6 days.
    Pool see's about 85% sun daily, with heavy bather load daily about 3-5 hours (3-4 kids and 2-3 adults)
    Pool is perfect, clear, sparkly, and passes all three tests anytime I check it.
    I'm in Clearwater, FL.
    Fill water was about 170 TA, took the pH down to 7.2 a few times and aerate back up to 7.5, the pH is not rising anymore now.
    Pool is pretty close to 12,750 gallons from what I can tell from dosing with 10% liquid chlorine working with the pool calculator.
    I'm dosing up to 8ppm at nightfall (72oz) and by the sunset next day, about 22 hrs later, I'm down to 3-3.5ppm CL everyday at test time. I'm averaging 4.5-5 ppm loss every day. I'm thinking that is close, but more than I thought I would lose, but with all of this going on with sun, heat, and bather load...
    Pump has been running 24/7 since the fill day and added 5 lbs CYA in sock over the return.
    The day after fill I shocked up to 24PPM held for 2 days and passed all 3 tests.
    Do I go up to 50-55 CYA and add borates to the pool to not use as much chlorine?
    What's your experience and advice?

Dosing at 72 oz daily of 10% liquid Chlorine.
    I can always drain if I don't want/like the CYA that high if i try going there.

Thanks
    Chuck

Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opinions please on my new pool about FC usage!

I don't think you are loosing that much chlorine. It is not uncommon to loose 40-60% of your chlorine daily.

How much direct sun do you get?

Assuming a lot of sun, then that, your pool temperature and high bather load are going to use up chlorine.

I would push your cya up to ~50 ppm (or maybe 55) and try that for awhile before attempting to much higher.

Borates are not going to change how much chlorine you use.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I agree with linen. YOu obviously have a great grasp of the chemistry. I would up the CYA to 55ppm or so and let things settle out. I'll bet you end up losing around 3ppm daily with the increased CYA.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, kind of what I was wanting to do, just didn't know if borates had any influence!
    Well thanks to you too Dave for providing the best kit to learn with!

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.