Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Freind's Pool unusable all summer, Looking for Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Freind's Pool unusable all summer, Looking for Help

A friend of mine called and has not been in his pool all season because he cant get it cleared up.
    I went over today and tested the water and got these results:
    FC 20
    PH 7.5
    CYA 100
    TA 90
    CH 600

24' Above ground pool with SWG.
    The water looks cloudy, lots of particles floating like what I've seen when opening pool and keeping at shock level. I believe he has killed the algae but it is not clearing up with pump/filter running 24/7.
    Any advice on how to proceed?
    Thanks!
    24' x 52" Round AG Pool, Hayward Aqua-trol SWCG, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, Hayward Power Flow LX Pump 1HP 60GPM, Hayward H100ID Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Freind's Pool unusable all summer, Looking for Help

I would first strongly suggest he reads pool school. It sounds like a TON of dichlor (high CYA level) and Cal-Hypo (high CH level) have been tossed into his pool to try to clean things up. To make his life ALOT easier I would suggest a drain/refill to lower his CYA level to at least 50.

After that order his own test kit....and re-read Pool school. He'll be able to grasp things from there.

I wish there were an easy answer....but he's been blindly dumping stuff into his pool, and is likely beyond help with his current water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Odds are the CYA is above 100ppm add that is the max of the test. Start with a 50/50 mix of pool water and tap water and double the result. Then you will have a better idea of how high it is.

Either way, a lot of water is likely breed to be replaced to get down to the recommended level near 70ppm.

Then you need to go through the shock process described on pool school.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Also what pump and filter do they have? Sand can be slow to clear the pool.

Btw, FC of 20ppm is not up to the actual shock level that should be maintained.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Same pump and filter as I have. (in my signature). So yes it's sand.
    I will test cya again with 1/2 tap water.
    Is there any concern with the ch being so high?
    24' x 52" Round AG Pool, Hayward Aqua-trol SWCG, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, Hayward Power Flow LX Pump 1HP 60GPM, Hayward H100ID Heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

There is, but the cya is a wayyyy more pressing issue. You could test the ch level of his fill water to see if the fill water is his problem, or if improper chemical additions are the issues.

7. Back To Top    #7

Will post the 1/2 & 1/2 cya test results when I get them.
    Pool store suggested a floc but I told him not buy anything until the tfp crew says so.

8. Back To Top    #8

Tell him to put that cash towards fresh water. Flock won't help cure much at this point. The chemistry is sooo far out, algae will regroup.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, the CH is way too high, but so is the CYA and the solution is the same for both, drain and refill. He may need to do several drain and refills to get the CYA to a manageable level. Work on getting CYA down to 50. The CH will come down some with it and it is much easier to manage high CH than high CYA. With CH so high you may want to open up the filter and check the sand for channeling and/or calcifications.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Got CYA between 40-50 when diluted by half. So I believe it is around 90-100. He has been vacuuming to waste and re filling. Still cloudy as of now.