Pipes running dry when trying to re prime

Hey everyone,

So I was trying to clean my pump filter basket out tonight and couldn't get it out (see other thread) and while I was cleaning it, I looked up at my salt water chlorinator and noticed it was starting to empty out.
I do not have a check value and my pump is up slightly higher than the pool is. I was told to plug the jets with styrofoam so the water would not come back out and I did that as sol. As I shut off the pump. And as I was cleaning the pump out I was continusly putting water intue basket (which I don't mind), but it got to the point where the swg plastic box was empty.

Now I was told that it's ok when turning on the pump again that is normal that there may sees after repriming it there would be some bubbles in the line that had to get blown out. But I don't know what it is doing to the pump when all the lines are empty.

Before turning it on, I filled the pump basket with water, and it was always slowly draining down (I tried leaving the hose in the basket but the water would continuously drain out (I take it into the pool). So I filled the basket up one last time quickly put on the cap and flipped the switch. It ran dry for about 10 seconds then saw water being pumped into the swg and after about 30 secs from switching it on, the swg was full with only minor bubbles. I went to the pool and saw the jets were blowing bubbles as well, for about 1 min after turning the pump on, it was quite vigourous. Then after 1-2 mins of turning it on, the bubbles subsided and after 3-4 mins, the bubbles were all gone and it was running like it should. Pump, swg were full of water and no air bubbles.

My question is, is this normal that when the pump lid is off, and there is no check valve, after about 6-8 mins the lines will drain? And when starting it back up again, is it ok that the lines run dry for about 10-20 secs and there is bubbles from the jets for about 3 mins? I doesnt happen very often that I have to clean te pump filter.

Thanks everyone

Ok, thanks (sigh of relief)
I am just worried about the piping underground with the combination of air in the line, plus the pump trying to fill them with water that it is too much pressure on the pipes? Is it true?
The pool was installed 8 years ago by the best pool installers in town, and they are still the best today, so that makes me feel a little bit better.

Thanks Bama

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.