Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Releasing Air Pressure Each Time I Start Pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Releasing Air Pressure Each Time I Start Pump?

Okay - here's one I haven't asked or seen lately.

My HAYWARD CARTRIDGE instructions say that I need to open all the valves (I understand water needs to go IN/OUT) and to open the AIR RELEASE valve at the top of the cartridge before I start the pump. Was this for just the first time I start the pump or do I need to this each time I start the pump (which is what I do now.).

However, what do I do if I want to put the pool pump on a timer? Doesn't having to be there physically to open the AIR RELEASE valve at the top each time before I start the pump sort of negate the convience of having the pool pump on a timer? What do others do? This is a 5,000 gallon ABOVE GROUND SPLASHER type pool - does that make a difference?

Thanks !!!
    9x17 AG Vinyl "SPLASHER" w/outside struts (7/04), thru the wall skimmer & return, C900 Hayward Cartridge Filter (3/08), 1 hp Hayward Power-Flo II pump (4/09), Wanda Whale auto cleaner (3/07), new Wanda shoes (6/09), VinylWorks A Frame Step Ladder Entry System w/Gate (5/06), 5-1gal gravel-filled jugs hung w/ zip ties under steps to stop steps from floating, 1-3" TAB FLOAT under stairs (empty), More noodles, floats, and toys than allowed in any 9x17 sized pool!

2. Back To Top    #2
    You only have to do this when the pump is first primed since air is pushed into the filter. After priming, the air should stay out of the pump and filter even when the pump is turned off.

However, everytime you empty the pump basket, you will lose prime and thus require an air purge.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    You only have to do this when the pump is first primed since air is pushed into the filter. After priming, the air should stay out of the pump and filter even when the pump is turned off.

However, everytime you empty the pump basket, you will lose prime and thus require an air purge.

Which I rarely do because I can't get the thing off because I clamped it down so tight to keep air out of the system!

HA!

So all my running around - open the air valve, turn on the pump, run back over to close the valve (which does release air) getting soaked with spray if I opened the valve too far - has been just for COMIC RELIEF??? HA!!!

There does seem to be a bunch of air released but my new HAYWARD CARTRIDGE has a AUTOMATIC AIR PRESSURE tube (thing) so I guess I'm good to go with putting a time on my pump.

Still it makes me nervous thinking the pool pump would be running without me. I'm just afraid something would get caught in skimmer and plug the whole thing up and fry the motor. So I usually just run it when I'm around.

Thanks!!!
    9x17 AG Vinyl "SPLASHER" w/outside struts (7/04), thru the wall skimmer & return, C900 Hayward Cartridge Filter (3/08), 1 hp Hayward Power-Flo II pump (4/09), Wanda Whale auto cleaner (3/07), new Wanda shoes (6/09), VinylWorks A Frame Step Ladder Entry System w/Gate (5/06), 5-1gal gravel-filled jugs hung w/ zip ties under steps to stop steps from floating, 1-3" TAB FLOAT under stairs (empty), More noodles, floats, and toys than allowed in any 9x17 sized pool!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just barely Crack the seal on the pump basket while your pump is running, it comes off alot easier. Your over whelmed feeling will go away quickly! Enjoy your new pool.
    16k I.G. Gunite, SWCG, 1.5hp Hayward Pump, .75hp Booster Pump w/ Hayward Phantom Cleaner,Hayward C5025, swimclear cartridge filter, 400k Hayward heater.

5. Back To Top    #5
    You only have to do this once. Air can be pressurized easily...water not so easily. So you have to purge the air out so that it can be displaced fully by the water then close it off and it will hold vacuum.

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow... I didn't even think about this. I have a Pentair sand filter, I guess i need to do the same? (Which I have not, just figured that the air would be pushed out by the water... )
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

(Which I have not, just figured that the air would be pushed out by the water... )
    It will. Although it will make it a little easier to prime for hard-to-prime systems if that valve is opened.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Never mind... Just read my manual my model (Pentair Tagelus TA-100D ) does not have one...
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster