Tile grout problems...

coreyoreo

LifeTime Supporter
Hey, all, & happy 4th!
I have here a tile grout issue I can't explain, so I'm hoping someone else can.

As you can see in the pics, the grout is oozing somthing, or something in the water is leaving this caking of something on the grout. It feels like cement. I've destroyed 2 scrubbers trying to remove it, and while I got some of it off, I'd like to know what it is & how can I keep it from re-occuring.

The strange thing is, this is mostly happening to the top of the spillover wall of the spa, but not in the break-away part, as the pics show. A little of it appears in tiny other areas of the tile around the pool, but nothing like on the spillover wall.

It also looks like the grout is separating in one pic. This tile job is less than 2 years old!!

I'd sure appreciate ANY help, so thanks in advance...

P.S. CYA is VERY low--- less than 10.. Here's all my numbers:
FC 4.5
CC 0
TC 4.5
PH 7.5
T/A 110
CH 390
CYA <10

Pics:
IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

Efflorescence. Water is seeping out from behind the tile bringing with it minerals...usually from the masonry surface below the tiles.

You cannot stop it but you can keep it clean with muriatic acid and it will eventually stop on it's own.

duraleigh said:
Efflorescence. Water is seeping out from behind the tile bringing with it minerals...usually from the masonry surface below the tiles.

You cannot stop it but you can keep it clean with muriatic acid and it will eventually stop on it's own.
Thanks, Dave, for the response.

Water is seeping from BEHIND the tiles? What would cause this to happen in the first place? Poor workmanship? I had this wall raised approx. 3" & retiled when I had the pool replastered just about 2 years ago. Should something like this be covered under the warranty?

Corey

duraleigh said:
Masonry is not waterproof and I know of nothing that can prevent water from seeking the path of least resistance. Workmanship has nothing to do with it.

Wow, ok, thanks so much Dave. Having only been a pool owner for a few years, I had never seen this before.

Can you suggest a method to remove the build-up as it sits? & how should I apply the muriatic acid for prevention?

I would post those pics and your story at Johnbridge.com. They are the best tile folks on the net and you will probably get a better answer there.

that said, all I know to do is chip off as much as you can and then use muriatic to remove what you can't chip off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.