Residue at bottom of my pool

Jul 3, 2012
Hello everyone,
I'm a new pool owner and have been having problems keeping my pool clean. My levels are generally good, but everytime I clean my pool it seems like the same residue comes back into my pool. The residue i feel looks like earth (white sandyish powder) and some small leaves that just keep going back into pool. In the shallow end when i clean it i can see almost dust every time i move the brush. I probably made the manly mistake of opening the pool myself cuz i did not have enough education (and was probably mislead by Dang pool store workers)on what i was doing and that probably cost me more $$ in the long run and i also had a bad algea problem. The algea is all gone but i still keep getting the residue. I backwashed a little bit until the handle on my backwash valve broke so i have been cleaning the filter manually since (a month or so). Sometimes I've cleaned it several times a day. Lastly there is a rip in one of the panels in my DE filter. So here are my questions and if i have left anything out let me know.

1. Does anyone know what this residue could be?

2. Does the rip in my filter have anything to do with it?

3. Do skimmer socks work?

4. how often should I run my pump?

5. How often should i backwash/clean my filter both before i get rid of this residue and after(normal operation)?

6. Does every pool store employee tell you completely different things than the last?

7. what is a good place to buy chemicals / supplies?

Welcome.

1: Could be dirt, pollen, dead algae, DE

2: Not sure if the rip is the cause, but seems likely, that gives a path for the dirt and DE to bypass the filter.

3: Yes ... although DE filters work well enough anyway

4: Long enough to keep your pool water clean to your liking

5: Backwash when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure

6: Hard to say ... not sure they are exactly like snowflakes ;)

7: Order your recommended test kit from tftestkits.net, Find your liquid chlorine (bleach), stabilizer, DE, acid wherever it is cheapest [Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Walmart, etc ... carry everything]

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I was away for the fourth so didn't have chance to respond back. Couple questions to your response.
1. Completely forgot to ask how to get rid of the Crud at the bottom of my pool?

2. Any suggestions for fixing rip in my DE Filter or a good website for info/ replacement parts if possible and does anyone know if the following is an old filter that should be completely replaced? I have an American Titan Vertical Grid Filter by American Products P/N:987038, Serial #117062, Mod # 582090, Filter area 36 SQ ft.

3. Probably will throw this on another post but, my pump seems like it is pretty loud and I'm not sure if it just needs some maintenance or if it needs replacement or other. I have an A.O. Smith Mexico 1081 Design CT1072 pump, Mod # k48K2N100A1, serial # 8B06, 3/4 HP, PH - 1, code - L, FR: 56J, Service Factor 1.5, Amps 11/5.5, Thermally Protected Type B. If I am reading this website correctly and according to the serial #(http://www.aosmithmotors.com/uploadedFi ... 0Codes.pdf) it was manufactured at plant 8 in February of 2006 (Which I would think might be old). Any thoughts?

Thanks again for everyones help.
Brian

What kind of cleaner do you have? IF there is a lot of dirt on the bottom can you vacuum to waste?

I am not sure the grid are repairable. I bought a full set of new grids (8) for my filter off ebay for < $150.

How is it loud? Grinding could be bearing going bad. Looks like you have a pretty small pump (good for electrical costs), you could lower your cost even further going with a 2-speed pump if you decide to replace it ... may just need a motor, what is the pump model?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.