I'm a new pool owner and have been having problems keeping my pool clean. My levels are generally good, but everytime I clean my pool it seems like the same residue comes back into my pool. The residue i feel looks like earth (white sandyish powder) and some small leaves that just keep going back into pool. In the shallow end when i clean it i can see almost dust every time i move the brush. I probably made the manly mistake of opening the pool myself cuz i did not have enough education (and was probably mislead by **** pool store workers)on what i was doing and that probably cost me more $$ in the long run and i also had a bad algea problem. The algea is all gone but i still keep getting the residue. I backwashed a little bit until the handle on my backwash valve broke so i have been cleaning the filter manually since (a month or so). Sometimes I've cleaned it several times a day. Lastly there is a rip in one of the panels in my DE filter. So here are my questions and if i have left anything out let me know.
1. Does anyone know what this residue could be?
2. Does the rip in my filter have anything to do with it?
3. Do skimmer socks work?
4. how often should I run my pump?
5. How often should i backwash/clean my filter both before i get rid of this residue and after(normal operation)?
6. Does every pool store employee tell you completely different things than the last?
7. what is a good place to buy chemicals / supplies?