Just started the filling......

Flawed

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
Just started filling the pool. There's about a cup of water leaking out about every two hours. Pinhole, i reckon. I've currently got it about 1.5 deep. Should I find the leak now, or wait till it's full? I noticed the leakage when it was about 8"deep. dropped food coloring into the water trying to track it down. no luck. Thought I'd get better results with more water (i.e. pressure) in the pool. So, try more food coloring now, or wait til it's full?

I would recommend finding the hole now. If you stop filling, and the hole is in the wall, then the water will naturally settle at that level (this might take a while depending how full it it.) Also, If you don't know where the hole is, how do you know you are loosing 1 cup of water ever two hours?

there's about a cup of water pooling on the south side. sucked it up with the wet dry vac. went back out in an hour or two, it was about a cup. Going back out with the food coloring, see what we get. I think it has to be a bottom hole, or maybe a seam. It started at about 8" deep.

Bah - the second food coloring test went like the first. No result. It just kinda lays there and dissipates. No motion/stream going any where. Doesn't pool in one spot either. I'm filling it, unless someone has a better idea for spotting leaks..... hmmmmm.... off to the search tab!!

jblizzle said:
You want the water calm when looking for the leak, so you should turn the hose off and try to let the water calm down.
Yup, all calm. I dont get in the pool. I place the drops about a foot apart, around the circumference, then fling it to the middle. I get pretty good coverage. Then I walk around and around trying to see some movement. Nothing. When the pool was at 8" I went around all the seams with the food coloring, didn't see anything then, either.

uhhhhhh.... this can't be good, right?? the waistband on my pool seems really over stretched. The slack is not going away as the pool fills. Pics?? Why yes, we have pics.....

Attachments

• DSC_8843.JPG
    DSC_8843.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 101
so- she's almost full, about another two inches to go. The waist strap is *still* not picking up any tension at all. I'm thinking this means the bottom rope is to short?? Ideas anyone? whats the possible catastrophes from not having that waist strap tight?

However, I've had two big successes this morning. The 637r pump/filter fired right up and is chugging along (yay), and I managed to jack up four uprights on the south side of the pool to put blocks under 'em. Wouldn't have done that if I hadn't seen it here on TFP first. Probably would have wasted time and money draining and refilling. So there, day two, and we're off to a good start!! Thanks TFP!!

Booya! all full up. well, almost. The wife and I decided to fill it to just above the return outlet. That way our five year old can still touch bottom. Weird thing is, once its full, the small amount of leakage stopped. Must be the down pressure. Still waiting to pull the trigger on membership/test kit. Soon, Jedi, soon.... for now, I'm just hitting it with FC in the evening. we're not using it much, and i'm out there everyday with my rednecked vaccum and pool net. Our water costs $5.50 per 1000 gal. The wife was glad to hear it was only $40 to fill/clean it. I 'fixed' my skimmer to, i have the floater. Its now level and free floating (sic). works like a champ.

Future plans:
sidewall skimmer
solar heating
side shelves for about a third around the pool.
secure covering
sand filter (found one for $100, i just havta go 120 miles roundtrip to get it.)

still looking for an answer about my waist strap being loose. But it's holding fine as it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.