Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to BBB I have a question.

1. Back To Top    #1

New to BBB I have a question.

I have had my CYA checked and it is at 53 ppm. I have dropped the water level to try to get it at 50 or just below. I live in Arkansas so I have tons of sunlight.

What is the recomended level of CYA in high sunlight area?
    And I am also going through a shock cycle. It is recomending me get the FC to around 20. I am very gun shy to pout that much bleach in my pool. I am up to about 6 gallons so far today. Is this normal? My FC is falling pretty quickly as I am checking it every 30 to an hour.
    Brent

29,000 Gallon In Ground Pool, Blue Gem Quartz Finish, DE Filter, Completed 9/7/12

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to BBB I have a question.

50 if you do not have a Saltwater Chlorine generator (swg). 53 is close enough to 50...in fact it is essentially the same number since the test accuracy is +/- 15 ppm (in the 30 to 90 ppm range).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Should I be gun shy about dumping gallon after gallon of bleach into the pool per the pool calculator?
    Brent

29,000 Gallon In Ground Pool, Blue Gem Quartz Finish, DE Filter, Completed 9/7/12

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitdundied
    Should I be gun shy about dumping gallon after gallon of bleach into the pool per the pool calculator?
    No.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks 7 jugs down off to buy out Kroger.
    Brent

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you post your pool and equipment specs in your sig? It helps us help you.

by the way I forgot...

Welcome to tfp, rabbitdundied
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks 7 jugs down off to buy out Kroger.
    You must have a big pool?

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome fellow Arkansas-an! You will love, love, love this site!
    24 ft. round ABG-vinyl-15200 gallon
    Sand Filter w/1 1/2 HP pump
    Installed May 2011
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    BBB method

http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

9. Back To Top    #9

20,000 gal vinyl rectangle
    Heyward Filter Pro Series
    1 hp pump

anything else?
    Brent

10. Back To Top    #10

The shock calculator recommended I get the FC up to 20. My test kit only reads to 6 so I am off to purchase another. I think by estimation it is up around 8-10 right now while shocking.
    Brent

11. Back To Top    #11

You really should just order one of the recommended test kits (see link in signature). The FAS-DPD chlorine test is the only test that will reliably test at the high FC #s needed while shocking ... and it is very rare to find that test locally (it is like the pool stores do not want you to know about it ... and further weird, most pool stores do not use it for their own testing).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit

Item# Product Qty Price
    Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit
    $74.99
    (2 reviews)
    Read 2 Reviews
    Write a Review
    Prices and availability may vary between stores and online.[attachment=0:20zz7jzm]pool test kit.jpg[/attachment:20zz7jzm]This is the one the local store carries. Will this work?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brent

13. Back To Top    #13

That is the same as the K-2006. That is correct (although kind of over-priced for what you can get it for at tftestkits.net)

Make sure they do not try to pull a bait-and-switch on you and say the DPD Test Kit (K-2005) is the same thing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

New to BBB I have a question.

If you end up purchasing the Taylor kit get the 2006c kit
    It has the larger 2oz reagent bottles.
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

15. Back To Top    #15

You should have seen the looks I got buying 12 bottles of bleach at WM. One lady gawked so much I told her I was getting rid of a body.
    Brent

16. Back To Top    #16

You should have seen the looks I got buying 12 bottles of bleach at WM. One lady gawked so much I told her I was getting rid of a body.
    It's after midnight and I'm laughing my off!
    Hi rabbitdundied and a great welcome to TFP!
    Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

17. Back To Top    #17

Done with the shocking process, still slightly cloudy.

20000 gallon
    vinyl rectangle
    1hp with Heyward filter

I still have not received my elaborate testing kit so I am working with what I have.

FC 6
    pH 7.6
    TA 70
    CYA 50 cannot measure but this is what it was 2 days ago based on what my pool store advised me.
    CH cannot test yet
    Borate cannot test yet

The pool has been clearing up slowly. After starting with a green bottom pool. I now show no signs of visible algae. The overnight test showed a drop from a FC of 5 to a 4 so I think I have finally finished the shocking process after two days of shocking. That is if I am doing things correctly.

I have vacuumed the pool and I can now barely see the bottom of the deep end.

Two Questions:

The pool has a soft feel to it. And after swimming our skin is really dry. Is something else not correct I am not considering?

Should the pool take this long to clear up?

BTW thanks for the help this site is awesome.
    Brent

18. Back To Top    #18

Re: Done with the shocking process, still slightly cloudy.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're not done shocking.

There are 3 tests that must be passed. The first two you can't really be sure of, because your FC test probably isn't accurate enough. The third test: "the water is clear", hasn't passed yet by your own admission "I can now barely see the bottom of the deep end."

Two Questions:

The pool has a soft feel to it. And after swimming our skin is really dry. Is something else not correct I am not considering?

Should the pool take this long to clear up?
    Once you get the fancy test kit and get all the readings, you'll have a clue if something is out of whack and why your skin gets dry.

Two days would be almost a record for clearing a pool. And as I said above, you're not done yet. Keep up the bleach.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

19. Back To Top    #19

I don't mind bad news. That is why I asked. Thanks. Back to shocking. Thanks
    Brent

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok I went back and re-read the how to shock your pool process. That was my fault in the first place.

My crappy test kit says my TC which is what I assume they are claiming as FC is well above 5 which is the highest it reads. It also says my CC is well above 5.

My question is this. Will the CC fix itself with continued shocking or do I manipulate this somehow that I have missed?

I hope I can make it through this shocking process with this cheapo kit I have or my new kit makes it by the time I really need it.
    Brent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast