Great idea... You tell me

Jun 12, 2012
Escondido, CA.
How many of us have fogotten that we've opend the fill valve on our pools... I've done it twice now... I've avoided an accident but I'm figuring that its a soon or latter thing....

So I started looking into automatic pool fill valves/sensors etc... $$$ ouch

But then I had this idea.. how about putting a hose bib timer inline with my fill pipe or an inline irrigation valve... and use either a manual mechanical timer to turn off after a given time 30,40,50 min etc or find a digital one that I can set and pretty much ignore. No wires to run.. no funky float valves... no dodads hanging off the side of the pool

Assumming I keep track of my evaporation rate and can figure out my fill rate thru my pipe I might.. just might avoid overflowing my pool...

Yep, it works quite well. I have an auto fill on my pool, but I have a fountain out front of the house, and with the evaporation rate here in the desert...... I just ran a fill line from my existing irrigation system and gave it it's own zone. It stays full and I seldom even need to change the settings.

Since I already had a system the cost was just some tubing and a valve, about $25 for the whole project.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.