Pool Lights

Jun 1, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So now that my pool is almost completely clear, it's time to tackle the lights. There was no power going to my pool lights or my pool shed. I have an electrician friend who came over and replaced the breaker and got the shed light working and then the pool lights working, for a while. there are 2 lights in the pool. one in the deep end and one in the shallow end, same side of the pool and same height. The shallow end light stopped working after 5 min. the deep end light never went out, until later at night when i went to turn it on to look how nice it would look except, neither light worked at that point. he confirmed power is going to the lights. so my questions is, do I have to replace the bulb and the gasket, as it sounds like water got into it, or do i have to replace the whole light, which will be very expensive. and if so where can I get the parts to do this job myself? and to Canada?

Are the pool lights wired through a GFCI circuit? If they got wet, I would assume that would trip ... although that would not explain why one went out before the other.

If the bulbs just happened to have burnt out around the same time as each other (how likely is that???), then you may just need new bulbs and gaskets.

Pull them out of the water and take a look at the fixtures.

In any case, I would certainly be sure there is a GFCI in the supply.

had my electrician friend come over again, we took the lights out of the pool and he tested the lights and they were "open" thus they were broken. he then switched on the power after drying the lights and tested the leads that connect to the bulb and both light fixtures had 12.8 volts, thus if I buy new lights they will work. except the lights at the local store are $40 each. anyone know of a cheaper price?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.