Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Lights

So now that my pool is almost completely clear, it's time to tackle the lights. There was no power going to my pool lights or my pool shed. I have an electrician friend who came over and replaced the breaker and got the shed light working and then the pool lights working, for a while. there are 2 lights in the pool. one in the deep end and one in the shallow end, same side of the pool and same height. The shallow end light stopped working after 5 min. the deep end light never went out, until later at night when i went to turn it on to look how nice it would look except, neither light worked at that point. he confirmed power is going to the lights. so my questions is, do I have to replace the bulb and the gasket, as it sounds like water got into it, or do i have to replace the whole light, which will be very expensive. and if so where can I get the parts to do this job myself? and to Canada?
    Curtis

Sydney Nova Scotia Canada
    Pool size: 26,500 gallons, Laser Sand filter 225(250lb), in ground, vinyl, hayward pump 1hp pump, Taylor Test Kit k-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Lights

Are the pool lights wired through a GFCI circuit? If they got wet, I would assume that would trip ... although that would not explain why one went out before the other.

If the bulbs just happened to have burnt out around the same time as each other (how likely is that???), then you may just need new bulbs and gaskets.

Pull them out of the water and take a look at the fixtures.

In any case, I would certainly be sure there is a GFCI in the supply.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

GFCI is functioning correctly. tested it to turn off the lights initially. will be sure to cut all power when servicing the lights. Thanks though!
    Curtis

Pool size: 26,500 gallons, Laser Sand filter 225(250lb), in ground, vinyl, hayward pump 1hp pump, Taylor Test Kit k-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

had my electrician friend come over again, we took the lights out of the pool and he tested the lights and they were "open" thus they were broken. he then switched on the power after drying the lights and tested the leads that connect to the bulb and both light fixtures had 12.8 volts, thus if I buy new lights they will work. except the lights at the local store are $40 each. anyone know of a cheaper price?
    Curtis

5. Back To Top    #5

just bought 2 new lights from a local pool store. $85 for 2. ugh.
    Curtis

6. Back To Top    #6

I posted this in another thread but in case any of you haven't viewed it here it is again. I installed the lights successfully. They look great!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Curtis

7. Back To Top    #7

Love the night time pool!
    24' x 54" Oceanic Round AGP, 1090 Hayward Skimmer, EC-40 Filter system, Automatic Chlorinator. Pool will be in Full sun for most of the day (9am-6pm).