Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner has a white coating

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner has a white coating

To start, I got this splash pool last year for a steal. The liner never looked blue but I thought it was due to its age. I noticed yesterday when I vacuum it was leaving brush marks on the bottom. So I got to thinking, can I scrub the white stuff off and have a blue pool again. I got out a green scrubby and with my foot started scrubbing the bottom. The white started to come off.

My question is what causes the liner to get the white coating and is there an easy way to remove it? I spend about an hour with the green scrubby under my feet and I only got about 1/6 of the pool done.
    13x25 SplashPool (10,600 gal) AG
    20" Sand Filter with 1HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liner has a white coating

If it is only on the bottom I would guess it's either calcium scale buildup or salt buildup due to allowing the pool to evaporate down to zero. If it is on the wall then I would guess it is calcium scale.

If you properly maintain your pool chemistry, you will not have the problem in the future.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there any easy way to remove it?

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like your having success...are you doing this with the pool empty?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

No, the pool is full.

6. Back To Top    #6

Post a full set of test numbers. If it is calcium you may be able to get it into solution by keeping you Calcite Saturation Index (csi) lower. If it is salt, time may cause it to disolve. If it is some soap/surfactant time and brushing along with proper chlorine levels may be the only way.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll post my numbers tonight when I test.