Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cost Savings?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cost Savings?

I have been reading here about cost savings of bleach... I think in my area bleach is not the cheaper way to go... I just priced a bottle of no-name plain old 6% bleach. It cost $2.85 for 0.75gal. I can buy 12% bulk liquid CL from a local pool store at $7 for 2.5gal.

If my math is correct, by correcting for strength, I need to raise my FC for 20800gal pool from 3 to 24 by adding: 3gal/2qt (453oz) of 12% or 7gal of 6%.

By using bleach, to shock the pool would cost about $25.
    By using liquid CL at 12%, to shock the pool would cost about $10.

What am I missing? A better place to buy bleach?
    Josh S
    ----------------------------
    20.8k gal vinyl kidney; 600sqft surf area, Hayward 1HP Super; 300Lb Sand Filter; Aqua-Rite/T-9; RainbowRay LEDs, Jandy Deck Jets; and a whole 'lotta sweat n time...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cost Savings?

It is all about the area. Some places 6% is cheaper and some places 12.5% is cheaper. And there are some places where Cal-Hypo is the cheapest.

What ever works for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

$7 for 2.5 gallons is a very decent price of $2.80 for 12.5% chlorinating liquid. Where I live, it's $3.95 per gallon.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

...too bad they wouldn't give it to me in the old bucket I had . They made me purchase a special can to refill.. but it can be used anywhere. The first can is $15 and is full. Every time you refill it is $6 even. Beggars can't be choosers.
    Josh S
    ----------------------------
    20.8k gal vinyl kidney; 600sqft surf area, Hayward 1HP Super; 300Lb Sand Filter; Aqua-Rite/T-9; RainbowRay LEDs, Jandy Deck Jets; and a whole 'lotta sweat n time...

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a Pinch A Penny pool store on the street I live on about 1 mile away! (no traffic lights or stop signs)
    They have the 2.5 gal. jug exchange for 10% liquid chlorine for $5.34. ($7.50 deposit on the jug)
    This works for me in my area.
    Clearwater. Fl.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

6. Back To Top    #6

shep377:

Another option is to consider joining a warehouse club such as Sam's, Costco, BJ's (the latter if you are on the East Coast or SE states east of the Mississippi). The 6% bleach I get at Sam's or Costco comes in a package of three 182 oz bottles. Price-wise, this works out to $2/gallon. I remember reading a post or two stating that BJ's carries liquid chlorine (either 10% or 12.5%, cannot remember which). Other users have found good deals at Aldi's, so that's another option if there is one near you.

For whatever reason, bleach / liquid chlorine availability and pricing varies by area. Here in DFW, I have yet to find a pool store that carries bleach or liquid chlorine, but the same pool store chain carries it in other states.

If you are considering other forms of chlorine, you may want to evaluate their side-effects as well (CalHypo adds calcium, Dichlor/Trichlor add CYA). If either CH or CYA get too high, you will be looking at a partial drain/refill.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

my local sam's club just raised the price of the 3 pack 182 oz bottles to $8.98. i'm sick of sams raising prices. almost every time i go in there they have raised the price on something. i will not be renewing my membership.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by brg88tx
    my local sam's club just raised the price of the 3 pack 182 oz bottles to $8.98. i'm sick of sams raising prices. almost every time i go in there they have raised the price on something. i will not be renewing my membership.
    At my local Wally World store, I get the 182 oz bottles for $2.98 each, which is cheaper than SAMS and I don't have to drive to Thug City to get it.
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.