Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another pump replacement thread

1. Back To Top    #1

Another pump replacement thread

My pump died. It was pretty old, the casing on the back has rusted out, it was LOUD etc. We tried fixing it, cleaned, lubed, replaced some seals. I got another few hours out of it, but in the end, the lack of maintenance from the previous owners and the pump not being used for over a year was too much. The wet end seems to be good
    Now comes replacement.
    It's a Hayward Super Pump, model #c48j2n131b1. The motor (SPX1605Z1M) goes for 150 and change on Amazon. Doesn't seem too bad, but should I consider any other options? Multi speed? Higher efficiency? Are they even available?
    15k gallon IG kidney pool with attached spa
    plaster
    sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another pump replacement thread

That particular pump size (3/4 HP uprated) did not come in a two speed version but you could go with the next size up to get the two speed motor: SPX1607Z2M
    The motor will run under loaded but it will still work fine.

However, I noticed that you have an attached spa. Is this pump running the spa as well and did it work ok?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Another pump replacement thread

I haven't completely figured out the spa yet. The current pump does run the spa (1 return and 1 drain port) however there is another for it. A Jacuzzi Magnum pump, I haven't even had a chance to check that out yet. As of now it's shut off and no water is routed through the Magnum.
    15k gallon IG kidney pool with attached spa
    plaster
    sand filter