Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling up pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling up pool

I am about to fill up my pool I drained 2/3 to get rid of high CYA…switching to BBB method. The small amount of water in the pool is green, and I am wondering if I should add a bunch of chlorine to the water now, while I'm filling it up? With the small volume of water, it would be easier to superchlorinate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    24k gallon inground gunite with fibertech liner
    Cartridge filter 100 sq ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling up pool

I think I would. But I'd be careful not to go too high, so I didn't bleach the liner. The hose should produce enough movement to keep it mixed, but brushing a little wouldn't hurt.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Richard. Estimate the amount of water in your pool and add enough FC to get to shock level. Test it in an hour and if it's low readjust the amount and bring it back to shock level. That will keep you ahead of the game until you get anough in it to run the pump. If you have a main drain that you can isolate, you can run the pump pulling from there with the skimmer(s) shut off if you can get the pump to prime. That will provide the circulation you need.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the suggestions. I just realized, however, that the small amount of water in the pool is still high in CYA (160 ppm), so I would still need to boost the FC that high to adjust for high stabilizer. While I'm adding water, the CYA will be decreasing along with the FC because of dilution. But the FC will become more effective as CYA decreases. Is this correct?
    24k gallon inground gunite with fibertech liner
    Cartridge filter 100 sq ft

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by findog42000
    Thanks for the suggestions. I just realized, however, that the small amount of water in the pool is still high in CYA (160 ppm), so I would still need to boost the FC that high to adjust for high stabilizer. While I'm adding water, the CYA will be decreasing along with the FC because of dilution. But the FC will become more effective as CYA decreases. Is this correct?
    Both the CYA and the FC will dilute as the pool fills. So as the CYA goes down, so does shock level, but the percentages should be the same. So, shock for 160. By the time it dilutes to 80, shock level should be half, but there's twice as much water, so the same quantity of bleach would be needed. You won't use less bleach, you'll just save time by starting while you fill.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!