I have a 30,000 gallon vinyl-lined in-ground pool that sits in direct sunlight for at least 10 hours daily. As a result of using tri-clor tabs and a di-clor "shock" product (as recommended by my inherited pool guy) my CYA levels have increased to over 150ppm (currently, my free and total chlorine levels are approximately 10ppm). From what I have read, ideal CYA levels are typically in the 50ppm range.
I have recently been dealing with algae, which I had not had for the first month of the summer. With a FC level exceeding 10ppm, I was thinking I may have a chlorine resistant algae issue. However, I am thinking my chlorine may be ineffective given the astronomical level of stabilizer in the pool.
My primary concern is to combat the algae problem. However, I'm not sure I can buy enough bleach to do this with such a high CYA level. My first reaction is to drain some of the pool water, refill, test the CYA, and then dump some liquid chlorine bleach into the pool. Was hoping for some advice as to what an appropriate CYA level might be for a pool that sees this much direct sunlight.