CYA not registering

JTAG

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Babcock Ranch Florida
I have a new pool 18X40 Sharkline Oval (17500 gals.) that we just got filled a week ago. When I filled it the PC told me to get CYA from 0 to 40 would require about 4lbs of stabilizer which I added. I finally got a Taylor 2006 test kit and I'm still not getting any CYA. Should I add more stabilizer or does it take awhile to register?

Thanks Jim

an ideal range is between 40-70ish... right? you could go another 4 pounds and that should bring you to around 55

the test kit that uses turbidity is easier to read once it's past 30 in my opinion.

Don't forget that CYA needs about a week to fully integrate before you test. And don't backwash it prior to that or you might throw some of it out your waste line

CYA can take up to a week to fully dissolve and show up on the test. Also, the test is not so good at measuring low levels, so the actual level could be as high as 20 and show up as zero on the test.

X-PertPool, the recommended range for a SWG pool is 70 to 80, while for a non-SWG pool it is 30 to 50.

4lbs of stabilizer in a 17500 gallon pool will raise the CYA by 27ppm. This could very well still show close to the minimum of the test.

I would add another 2 lbs and assume you are at about 40ppm. It can take up to a week for the CYA to show up on the test.

Jbliz beat me...

Poolcalculator gives my 93 ounces by weight to raise your 17500 gallon pool to 40 ppm cya. 64 ounces (4 lbs) would only raise you to 27 ppm cya, which is harder to measure. Also, cya can take up to a week to show up fully in tests.

I said 4 because I like an argument. lol

I guess it would be good to find out if he had a SWG or non SWG

Regardless wouldn't 4 more pounds take him to around 55? which would be at the max range for a non swg thus making it fairly easy to read on that turbidity kit.

Good point on the SWG ... no mention, so assumed it was not.

55 is a little on the high side to start, especially if they end up having to go through the shock process.

Just a little safer to start low I guess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The CYA may not show up on the test for a week.

Just assume you are about 40ppm until you can test it next week.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.