Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA not registering

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA not registering

I have a new pool 18X40 Sharkline Oval (17500 gals.) that we just got filled a week ago. When I filled it the PC told me to get CYA from 0 to 40 would require about 4lbs of stabilizer which I added. I finally got a Taylor 2006 test kit and I'm still not getting any CYA. Should I add more stabilizer or does it take awhile to register?

Thanks Jim
    17500 gallon Sharkline Morada PUR RTR 18X40 54 tall, 1.5 Hayward cartridge filter,

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CYA not registering

an ideal range is between 40-70ish... right? you could go another 4 pounds and that should bring you to around 55

the test kit that uses turbidity is easier to read once it's past 30 in my opinion.

Don't forget that CYA needs about a week to fully integrate before you test. And don't backwash it prior to that or you might throw some of it out your waste line
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

CYA can take up to a week to fully dissolve and show up on the test. Also, the test is not so good at measuring low levels, so the actual level could be as high as 20 and show up as zero on the test.

X-PertPool, the recommended range for a SWG pool is 70 to 80, while for a non-SWG pool it is 30 to 50.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

4lbs of stabilizer in a 17500 gallon pool will raise the CYA by 27ppm. This could very well still show close to the minimum of the test.

I would add another 2 lbs and assume you are at about 40ppm. It can take up to a week for the CYA to show up on the test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Jbliz beat me...

Poolcalculator gives my 93 ounces by weight to raise your 17500 gallon pool to 40 ppm cya. 64 ounces (4 lbs) would only raise you to 27 ppm cya, which is harder to measure. Also, cya can take up to a week to show up fully in tests.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses I will add 4 more lbs wait a week and re-test. I am having trouble holding FC and I suspect its because my CYA is not at adequate levels yet.
    17500 gallon Sharkline Morada PUR RTR 18X40 54 tall, 1.5 Hayward cartridge filter,

7. Back To Top    #7

we both said 2 pounds why are you going to add 4 more?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Dont know why I said 4, I will add 2 thanks again

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I said 4 because I like an argument. lol

I guess it would be good to find out if he had a SWG or non SWG

Regardless wouldn't 4 more pounds take him to around 55? which would be at the max range for a non swg thus making it fairly easy to read on that turbidity kit.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

10. Back To Top    #10

Good point on the SWG ... no mention, so assumed it was not.

55 is a little on the high side to start, especially if they end up having to go through the shock process.

Just a little safer to start low I guess.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Non SWG, just added about 2lbs tonight we will see what we got tomorrow.

Thanks again JIm

12. Back To Top    #12

The CYA may not show up on the test for a week.

Just assume you are about 40ppm until you can test it next week.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Checked this morning still not registering anything although I think the sample looks a little cloudy. I will give it a week before adding any more.

Thanks Jim