Just upgraded to Sand Filter for 15' foot Intex so I can vac

And... oops. The first instruction in the manual doesn't work. I'm supposed to put the intake part through the pool lining, and it's WAY too big to fit through the opening there, and clearly not intended for use on this pool.

Am I screwed? I've read at least 20 posts about adapting Intex to this and that, and I'm still unsure what I should do here. I haven't picked up on all the lingo yet. Is a "skimmer" just the little plastic filter thing that connects at the intake to the pool?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Re: Just upgraded to Sand Filter for 15' foot Intex so I can

what model sand filter?
what manufacture?
Pictures of the filter and pool will help if you can't find the above information.
When we purchased the Intex sand filter it came with adaptors to fit our small pool. You can order these online from Intex.
-wc

Welcome to tfp, anderson110 :wave:

Did you filter come with fitting numbered 28 in the manual? It should have, and then you use either the third or forth illustration in the manual to do your connection.

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, anderson110 :wave:

Did you filter come with fitting numbered 28 in the manual? It should have, and then you use either the third or forth illustration in the manual to do your connection.

Aha! With your clues I did find a section entitled "For Intex Pool size 16' and below" that does include Part 28!

You would think they would have started with a "If your pool is X, jump to..." but in any case, I will give it a 2nd shot trying those instructions.

Thanks!

Wow, this site is really getting me on my way to a healthy pool. Finally! :cool:

I was able to get the new sand filter pump going after the hints above, and it is a huge difference from the old tiny A cartridge filter/pump that came with the pool.

Still, I had a very nasty cloudy water problem I was dealing with after a bad algae outbreak. The water was opaque. After 3 days of treatment including a long shocking phase, it is coming under control nicely.

I have one question, though: even with the sand filter, the cloudiness was very persistent, so I followed the tip of using some DE in the filter to help trap smaller particles. Not long after adding 1/4 cup, the pressure went way up on the filter, so I decided to backwash.

My question is, do I have to re-supply DE after every backwash? It seems like it probably washes out with a backwash, but I'm not sure.

Make that two questions! I also had a problem today with the return plunger valve blowing off the pool and spraying water everywhere for no apparent reason. I notice that it tends to work its way off the inner rubber sleeve over time, and I can't see a good way to secure it any better. I rigged up a stick which I wedged in the ground and supported underneath it at an angle, and that seems to be working as a temp solution, but... there's gotta be a better way. Ideas?

(15' AGP, up 1 year. FC 5 and holding, PH 7.8, CYA 30. My TF-100 is in the mail).

anderson110 said:
My question is, do I have to re-supply DE after every backwash? It seems like it probably washes out with a backwash, but I'm not sure.
It washes out with the backwash.

anderson110 said:
I notice that it tends to work its way off the inner rubber sleeve over time, and I can't see a good way to secure it any better. I rigged up a stick which I wedged in the ground and supported underneath it at an angle, and that seems to be working as a temp solution, but... there's gotta be a better way. Ideas?
Not sure on this one. I assume you have it tight. If it continues to be a problem you might need to switch to the return that came with the pump (and have to cut a hole).

linen said:
anderson110 said:
It washes out with the backwash.

anderson110 said:
I notice that it tends to work its way off the inner rubber sleeve over time, and I can't see a good way to secure it any better. I rigged up a stick which I wedged in the ground and supported underneath it at an angle, and that seems to be working as a temp solution, but... there's gotta be a better way. Ideas?
Not sure on this one. I assume you have it tight. If it continues to be a problem you might need to switch to the return that came with the pump (and have to cut a hole).

Yes, and in fact, tightening it too much makes the problem worse, because it forces the inner rubber sleeve out of round, as it buckles in a bit on one side, and this buckled part creates a big flow resistance and makes the valve blow off. I can see clearly how it is buckled out of round after the valve blows off. If I only tighten 3/4 of the way, it holds a lot better (but not indefinitely).

I think I am headed towards cutting the liner and installing the larger return, but that is sure a scary step to take. Is there a tutorial on that somewhere?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.