Jul 2, 2012
Hey everyone,

So first time posting here and after reading several threads, I'm having a hard time consolidating all the answers to my question so what better way to introduce myself than to start asking questions!

My wife and I are looking into getting an 18'x52" AGP, the Intex Ultra Frame to be exact... We were looking at the model with the 1,600 gph sand filter model but I was wondering would I be better off buying the less expensive filter cartridge model and just upgrade the filtration to a through the wall skimmer and 2,600 gph sand filter right away?

Thoughts?

noresull

Welcome to tfp, noresull :wave:

My neighbor has a 16' intex with the 1600 gph sand filter and it works great (has cleared two algae outbreaks with it :hammer: ). However, I have heard people comment that the 2650 sand filter is really better for vacuuming, though I feel the 1600 is adequate for vacuuming as well.

Thanks for the welcome linen!! I think we wil have to go down a size or two since the online places all seem to want more than advertised for shipping... However, I am curious if I should start with the cartridge filter then upgrade to the sand or should I not even open the cartridge filter packaging and buy a sand filter right away...

Any thoughts?

Well, my experience is the intex cartridge filters are inadequate especially when clearing a pool of algae and even without algae, they need very regular cleaning. However, you may have a higher tolerance that I do for cleaning them often, and if you keep on top of your pool chemistry, then hopefully you wouldn't have to clear algae. If you have a lot of leaves or other organic debris, you will also have to clean often.

Well, we ended up ordering an 18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame. Also ordered the 2650 gph sand filter. I still need to clear the spot in the back yard but that should all be done next week. Does anyone know how easy it is to find pool sand from Walmart or hardware store or should I just get it from a pool store, also what should I plan on paying for it?

We're really looking forward to getting it set up and swimming it it!

Well, got the pool shipped to the house today! We also got the 2650 gph sand filter sitting in the house waiting to go out by the pool... I start tomorrow with a tractor preparing the land then I'll begin setting the pool up. I bought a 20'x20' tarp to go below the tarp that came with the pool. Would it be easier to set the pool up, place it where I want it then bury pavers for the feet work? Do you think I should even bury the pavers or just set them right on the dirt?

I'm getting pretty excited! Enough that I couldn't sleep very well this past week!

noresull said:
Well, we ended up ordering an 18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame. Also ordered the 2650 gph sand filter. I still need to clear the spot in the back yard but that should all be done next week. Does anyone know how easy it is to find pool sand from Walmart or hardware store or should I just get it from a pool store, also what should I plan on paying for it?

You want to make sure you buy pool sand if it is going into your filter. The first time we purchased it was from our local pool store. For some reason (can't remember now) last year we decided to replace the sand on a Sunday and the pool store was closed (we are in a small community and limited choices). We knew that Sutherlands had it with their pool supplies. It comes in 50 pound bags and is labeled as such (pool filter sand). It was only a dollar or two cheaper than the pool store sand. The sand at Sutherlands is coarser and not as fine. I would not recommend it and wish we had changed it out at the beginning of the season. :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
poolgranny said:
noresull said:

You want to make sure you buy pool sand if it is going into your filter. The first time we purchased it was from our local pool store. For some reason (can't remember now) last year we decided to replace the sand on a Sunday and the pool store was closed (we are in a small community and limited choices). We knew that Sutherlands had it with their pool supplies. It comes in 50 pound bags and is labeled as such (pool filter sand). It was only a dollar or two cheaper than the pool store sand. The sand at Sutherlands is coarser and not as fine. I would not recommend it and wish we had changed it out at the beginning of the season. :hammer:

Thanks! The stuff our local Menards has is the exact grade Intex recommends in their directions for the filter so we'll be going that route. 2 - 50 lb. bags enough?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.