Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

Hey everyone,

So first time posting here and after reading several threads, I'm having a hard time consolidating all the answers to my question so what better way to introduce myself than to start asking questions!

My wife and I are looking into getting an 18'x52" AGP, the Intex Ultra Frame to be exact... We were looking at the model with the 1,600 gph sand filter model but I was wondering would I be better off buying the less expensive filter cartridge model and just upgrade the filtration to a through the wall skimmer and 2,600 gph sand filter right away?

Thoughts?

noresull
    18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame
    2650 Intex Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie

Welcome to tfp, noresull

My neighbor has a 16' intex with the 1600 gph sand filter and it works great (has cleared two algae outbreaks with it ). However, I have heard people comment that the 2650 sand filter is really better for vacuuming, though I feel the 1600 is adequate for vacuuming as well.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome linen!! I think we wil have to go down a size or two since the online places all seem to want more than advertised for shipping... However, I am curious if I should start with the cartridge filter then upgrade to the sand or should I not even open the cartridge filter packaging and buy a sand filter right away...

Any thoughts?
    2650 Intex Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, my experience is the intex cartridge filters are inadequate especially when clearing a pool of algae and even without algae, they need very regular cleaning. However, you may have a higher tolerance that I do for cleaning them often, and if you keep on top of your pool chemistry, then hopefully you wouldn't have to clear algae. If you have a lot of leaves or other organic debris, you will also have to clean often.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, we ended up ordering an 18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame. Also ordered the 2650 gph sand filter. I still need to clear the spot in the back yard but that should all be done next week. Does anyone know how easy it is to find pool sand from Walmart or hardware store or should I just get it from a pool store, also what should I plan on paying for it?

We're really looking forward to getting it set up and swimming it it!
    2650 Intex Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Be sure to get your pool area level and it is highly suggested to not use a "cut and fill" to level your space. Find the lowest spot and dig down to it.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Look for mulch. We bought our sand for our mulch guy. I paid $16 a ton but that was landscaper prices. You can expect to pay $25-35 a ton. But those our the prices for my area.
    AG 15x30 4 ft deep 12000 gal.
    Aqua Star 100lbs Sand Filter model fs019
    Installed june 2012

8. Back To Top    #8

Why mulch? Just to fill in around the pool instead of dirt/mud?
    2650 Intex Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, got the pool shipped to the house today! We also got the 2650 gph sand filter sitting in the house waiting to go out by the pool... I start tomorrow with a tractor preparing the land then I'll begin setting the pool up. I bought a 20'x20' tarp to go below the tarp that came with the pool. Would it be easier to set the pool up, place it where I want it then bury pavers for the feet work? Do you think I should even bury the pavers or just set them right on the dirt?

I'm getting pretty excited! Enough that I couldn't sleep very well this past week!
    2650 Intex Sand Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by noresull
    Well, we ended up ordering an 18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame. Also ordered the 2650 gph sand filter. I still need to clear the spot in the back yard but that should all be done next week. Does anyone know how easy it is to find pool sand from Walmart or hardware store or should I just get it from a pool store, also what should I plan on paying for it?

You want to make sure you buy pool sand if it is going into your filter. The first time we purchased it was from our local pool store. For some reason (can't remember now) last year we decided to replace the sand on a Sunday and the pool store was closed (we are in a small community and limited choices). We knew that Sutherlands had it with their pool supplies. It comes in 50 pound bags and is labeled as such (pool filter sand). It was only a dollar or two cheaper than the pool store sand. The sand at Sutherlands is coarser and not as fine. I would not recommend it and wish we had changed it out at the beginning of the season.
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by poolgranny
    Quote Originally Posted by noresull

You want to make sure you buy pool sand if it is going into your filter. The first time we purchased it was from our local pool store. For some reason (can't remember now) last year we decided to replace the sand on a Sunday and the pool store was closed (we are in a small community and limited choices). We knew that Sutherlands had it with their pool supplies. It comes in 50 pound bags and is labeled as such (pool filter sand). It was only a dollar or two cheaper than the pool store sand. The sand at Sutherlands is coarser and not as fine. I would not recommend it and wish we had changed it out at the beginning of the season.
    Thanks! The stuff our local Menards has is the exact grade Intex recommends in their directions for the filter so we'll be going that route. 2 - 50 lb. bags enough?
    2650 Intex Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Look at your filter it should tell you. We have a Hayward T180 and it called for 150 pounds if I remember correctly.
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Yeah, it says 100 lb, I assumed you had an Intex filter even though your signature says otherwise...

I'm excited!
    2650 Intex Sand Filter