Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak between filter head and body (Jacuzi 190 sand filter)

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak between filter head and body (Jacuzi 190 sand filter)

Thanks to all your advice I got our pool in this weekend and plumed. I have a few small leaks that I can handle but the biggest is the leak between the filter head and body. We have a Jacuzi 190 sand filter. Leaks show between the thread and body for dang near half the filter. I've tried draining the body and then spinning it so it fits nice and tight, but the leaks keep happening. When I had the whole deal apart earlier today (had to replace the sand) I noticed there is no gasket between the body and the head. Is this normal? Is there supposed to be a gasket that seals the body to the head?

Tony
    Size: 24' dia ~12,000 gallons
    Filter: 200 lb Jacuzzi sand filter
    Type: Above Ground
    Liner: Vinyl
    Pump: 1 HP Jacuzzi

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak between filter head and body (Jacuzi 190 sand filte

Yes there should be a gasket, it is square in cross section if I remember correctly.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Yes there should be a gasket, it is square in cross section if I remember correctly.
    From doing some searches on the net it looks like this filter is a)old and b)gasket is discontinued....great.

If I made a filter from paper or cork gasket, would it last at all with the chemicals involved? If if I was to make it from a different material, would there be a better material to choose?

T.

4. Back To Top    #4

I might choose a sheet of rubber, the gasket is about 3/16" if IRC. It will be tricky to cut, but possible. Another option would be a round cross-section gasket of the right overall diameter could work.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

FWIW, the 6th pool store I called had the gasket...I picked it up and threw it in last night and it took car of the leaks.
    I had no idea there were so many pool stores in this city (Ottawa)..there has to be 20 of them and all carry parts for all different brands.

Using the notes from Pool School to get the water clear now,
    T.

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice job, it is hard to find parts for those filters now