Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New guy with a question about SWG and filter setup

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy with a question about SWG and filter setup

Hi,
    I'm about to test the water after the first 24 hour period after adding salt to the pool for the first time. I have an Intex sand filter and the instructions say I can't use an external timer. This is none sense since the idea is to program my system to run automatically so the SWG and the filter work together. Can anyone recomend a good and safe plug and play outdoor timer?

Thanks for any help.
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New guy with a question about SWG and filter setup

The safest ones are all hard wired. In any case, Intermatic makes several good outdoor timers, both with plug and socket and hard wired.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The issue with the Intex swg's is that some models lose programming when they lose power, so you can't run them on an external timer. I think they changed that but I don't know if you have the model that loses programming or not.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Well I found out that the pumps built in timer doesn't work like a kitchen timer, like I read in another post, you select the hours from 2 through 12 and thats it, you are set. Thats a great feature from the Intex sand pump. Sorry for an unecesary post and thanks again for your help guys.
    I've set up the pump for 4 hours run time and 3 on the SWG for a 14x48 ultra frame. Lets see how it goes. My average outside temp goes from 90 to 112F these days at the caribbean side. Its crazzy! I had a heat stroke working on the installation of the pool.
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The issue with the Intex swg's is that some models lose programming when they lose power, so you can't run them on an external timer. I think they changed that but I don't know if you have the model that loses programming or not.
    This. I have an Intex SWG. All you can set on it is run time. It remembers when you programmed it and will come on automatically at that time each day.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the help guys!
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump