Buying House with AG pool, Need Advice

4 days of keeping the chlorine level up to shock. OCLT has been less than .5 for two days. All other tests are normal. Water is blue, but still cloudy.
Since I don't know the state of the filter, should I check for channelling and do a deep clean?

Snowmonkey517 said:
4 days of keeping the chlorine level up to shock. OCLT has been less than .5 for two days. All other tests are normal. Water is blue, but still cloudy.
Since I don't know the state of the filter, should I check for channelling and do a deep clean?
You can usually tell if the filter has a problem by watching the pressure gauge. You should get a gradual rise in pressure as it clears the water. You should also notice day to day progress in water clarity. Only backwash when the pressure gauge reads 15 to 20% over the clean pressure reading. Backwashing before that is counter productive. As the sand traps particulates the filter becomes more efficient and traps smaller particles because the pathways between the sand get smaller and smaller as they clog with dirt.

You could try adding DE (diatomaceous earth) to the sand filter. It helps filter smaller particles quicker. Make sure the DE is the type for pools and not the garden DE. It's also a quick way to determine you have a filter problem. As you add the DE and watch the return, any problems with the filter will result in a plume of DE shooting back into the pool. Those problems are usually excess channeling or a bad spider gasket. Don't stop shocking till the water's clear or you are positive that there is a definite filter problem. Ninety nine times out of a hundred it's usually a matter of patience and waiting a few more days to let the filter do it's job. Don't forget to keep brushing and vacuuming.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

I am familiar with DE as I use a diatom filter for my aquariums. Do you know how much DE I should add? I'll keep searching for that answer.

One problem is the guage does not work. it is stuck at 36psi even with the pump off and the filter top removed. (I plan on stopping by the pool supply store tomorrow and getting a new one) So I have been been keeping an eye on the return flow instead of the guage, along with some more Taylor reagents. I ran out doing so many chlorine tests!
I did take the top off yesterday and checked the sand. No clumping or channelling. So I just carefully flushed it for about an hour.
I've been maintaining a FC of 20ppm (CYA is 40). Is there any advantage to bumping this up a bit or would that just be a waste or cause problems?

Snowmonkey517 said:
I am familiar with DE as I use a diatom filter for my aquariums. Do you know how much DE I should add? I'll keep searching for that answer.
Your filter holds 50 lb. more sand then mine. I start off with a 1/4 cup and usually wind up adding another 1/4 cup. I just slowly add it dry directly through the skimmer.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

Snowmonkey517 said:
One problem is the guage does not work. it is stuck at 36psi even with the pump off and the filter top removed. (I plan on stopping by the pool supply store tomorrow and getting a new one) So I have been been keeping an eye on the return flow instead of the guage, along with some more Taylor reagents. I ran out doing so many chlorine tests!
I did take the top off yesterday and checked the sand. No clumping or channelling. So I just carefully flushed it for about an hour.
I've been maintaining a FC of 20ppm (CYA is 40). Is there any advantage to bumping this up a bit or would that just be a waste or cause problems?
If you've passed the OCLT, I don't see the need to raise the Chlorine. Once you pass those first two conditions of the OCLT, it's up to your filter to clear the water. Keeping at shock level is still a good idea and is recommended.

New guage installed, it's about 12psi. I added 1 cup of DE, 1/4 cup at a time and waited a while between additions. No DE coming out of the returns.
I'll continue to watch the guage closely and backwash as needed, keep the FC level at 20, check OCLT daily, brush daily and vaccuum every other day or so. I'll run through the other tests again as well.

I hope to get a little use before we have to close it up for the winter.

Snowmonkey517 said:
New guage installed, it's about 12psi. I added 1 cup of DE, 1/4 cup at a time and waited a while between additions. No DE coming out of the returns.
I'll continue to watch the guage closely and backwash as needed, keep the FC level at 20, check OCLT daily, brush daily and vaccuum every other day or so. I'll run through the other tests again as well.

I hope to get a little use before we have to close it up for the winter.
Did the pressure go up after adding the DE?

It is interesting to me that the bag of cellulose de replacement I have recommends 8 cups per 2 square feet of sand filtration - they then state that you must backwash within 48 hours.

Snowmonkey517 said:
Yes, about 3psi. As of today the DE did not help. No change in cloudiness.
This morning the FC was 19.5, CC was .5. Last night after sundown FC was at 21, CC was 1.
That's good but you only want to add enough DE to raise the pressure 1 or 2 psi with 1 being better. After your next backwash, only add 1/2 cup. The filter is behaving like it should so all that's left is to wait and let it do it's job. Keep shocking, brushing and vacuuming. There's no way to predict how long it takes to clear swampy water but it does clear. You're doing everything right. Keep up the good work.

How bout a few pics? We already have that opening shot. You could take a daily pic at the same spot. Sometimes it's hard to see progress but a series of pics will highlight any progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suppose at the ladder is the best spot. Here are a few taken around sundown. Huge difference from when I started!

Attachments

• 2012-08-22_18-24-19_385.jpg
    2012-08-22_18-24-19_385.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 2012-08-22_18-24-59_306.jpg
    2012-08-22_18-24-59_306.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 29
  • 2012-08-22_18-25-11_66.jpg
    2012-08-22_18-25-11_66.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 29
Just vaccumed again, I think I notice an improvement. I can see farther down the sides of the pool. I'll just keep the course and avoid my brother-in-laws suggestions. Although I expected quicker results, the suggestions from this forum have saved me a lot of money and disappointment. (a BIG thank you to everyone!) And I have learned a lot in the short few weeks I have been dealing with the swamp.
I was only slightly "pool-stored". I caught on when I was told I need PH-Up and PH-Down(Huh?) and they used paper testing strips just like what I started out with.
BTW, I can't say enough about the Taylor K-2006.
I'll send a few more pics after the weekend.
~Michael

Oh yeah, if you remember the beginning of the post it was recommended that I use Gorilla Tape to try to hold the tears together and get me through the rest of the summer. Works great!! If anyone runs into a situation like I did (about 12" tears at the waterline) and needs to limp by, give this a shot. I layered about 3 times and it is holding well so far. If I can get through the winter so I can replace the liner I'll be happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.