UV System.. Is it worth it?

UPDATE:
This guy is dead set on a uv system because he was reading that chlorine is a carcinogen. He understands there is still a need for a small amount of chlorine.

Since there is no changing his mind... Does anyone have experience with uv systems that can give me some suggestions on what to look at buying? He bought the spectra light but that was much too big for plumbing set up he had. (he didn't want me to replumb his system). The spectra light is around 4 foot long, 4 inches around and weighs around 25 pounds. It just wasn't feasible for the system he has.

Not that this will change your customer's mind, but for your own edification, read the latter part of this post where I reference and quote the World Health Organization (WHO) summary of epidemiological studies on chlorine disinfection by-products (chlorine itself is not the issue; it's some of the chlorinated by-products that are mutagenic and in some cases carcinogenic).

The UV system really won't let them run at a lower chlorine level. The higher chlorine level is needed to kill algae. So if they truly want to operate at a lower chlorine level then they need a system that will kill algae in the bulk pool water. That means using an algaecide such as Polyquat 60, using a linear quat algaecide (that can foam), using 50 ppm Borates, using copper ions (that can stain plaster surfaces and turn blond hair greenish), or using phosphate removers. Neither ozone nor UV will do anything against pathogens or algae growing on pool surfaces and not getting circulated. With supplemental algae killing chemicals, they could operate their pool at a lower FC/CYA ratio. How low, we don't know since we don't have enough data for that, but I'd say it's probably at least half as low and possibly 1/3rd if the supplements are very good.

Also, as others have noted, since he is looking for convenience as well as low chlorine levels, he should get a saltwater chlorine generator for sure. Whatever he does beyond that is gravy. If he gets only a UV system, he still won't have automation of chlorine dosing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.