Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV System.. Is it worth it?

1. Back To Top    #1

UV System.. Is it worth it?

This is my first post do I'll give a little background.

I've been in the pool business for around 7 years now. I work for a resort so it's kind of limited on the equipment side of it. I decided to start a small business for some side work and extra cash. Going very well, a lot of hours but a lot of money.

Anyways... My question is... I've got a client that is looking at installing a UV system on a 25,000 gallon inground pool. Ive already installed new plumbing (what's not underground), a new pump, filter and heat pump. This guy has a ton of money so that's not an issue. Is a UV system worth him installing over any other sanitation system. He wants as little maintenance and use of chlorine as possible. He's even talked about installing a salt system to go with the UV system he wants.

So after all of that rambling lol... Is it worth it for him? I have limited knowledge on UV and there's little information out there.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: UV System.. Is it worth it?

Is the pool indoors or outdoors?

The salt system is a good idea.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP

A SWG is highly recommended and very convenient. However, in an outdoor residential pool UV adds no real value. UV is good at breaking down organic waste, but chlorine alone takes care of doing that before the water gets to the UV system, unless there are lots of people swimming, so nothing for the UV to do. If they have huge swim parties multiple days in a row on a regular basis then there is some value to UV.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320

Outdoor residential. This guy is "skeeved" out over the thought of a pool. It's for his kid and he just wants it as clean as possible with the lowest amount of chlorine needed.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by BerkshirePoolandSpa
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320

Outdoor residential. This guy is "skeeved" out over the thought of a pool. It's for his kid and he just wants it as clean as possible with the lowest amount of chlorine needed.
    There's plenty of UV light outdoors. It won't help.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to tfp, BerkshirePoolandSpa

with the lowest amount of chlorine needed.
    Then a swg will be a good choice since it can be effective at slightly lower FC levels then other methods of chlorination.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by linen

Then a swg will be a good choice since it can be effective at slightly lower FC levels then other methods of chlorination.
    What's slightly lower?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by linen

What's slightly lower?
    Compare the charts for salt water generator and non SWG. Note they don't start at the same CYA level. pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

9. Back To Top    #9

SWCG systems can run effectively with FC levels generally around 3 to 4 ppm below what a regular pool can. See the CYA/chlorine chart here: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

10. Back To Top    #10

EDIT: R320 and Mag...jinx buy me a coke

Take a look at the chlorine/cya chart. You tend to need to run at a little higher cya level, and if you compare the the non-swg FC levels you will see the swg's is a little lower....for example at 70 ppm cya, 3 verses 5 ppm FC.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

You should try to get your guy to read the pool school link that is in the top right of ever page here. What most people think of as chlorine in pools is really combined chlorine products "that chlorine smell", think of it like this, if you open a bottle of chlorine bleach and smell it you don't get that "chlorine smell" the reason is you are smelling pure chlorine and not its combined byproducts. Chlorine is NOT bad, combined Chlorine IS BAD, with a properly balanced and managed pool you can have relatively high levels of free chlorine, and not have that nasty Combined Chlorine smell, eyes burning, etc.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

That's interesting. In Massachusetts we cant be above 3ppm according to the state regs

13. Back To Top    #13

That's interesting. In Massachusetts we cant be above 3ppm according to the state regs
    I assume that is only for commercial / public pools, right?

If for private pools, that would certainly make life hard ... as you will realize when you understand the CYA/FC relationship.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Take a look at this post on the misunderstood chlorine/cya relationship: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...628.html#p4365

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    I assume that is only for commercial / public pools, right?
    Yea it's a commercial pool.

So the overall view is to steer him towards SWG? With that... What are some of the forum favorites for a 25,000 gallon in ground pool with a liner? Again, money isn't an issue.

16. Back To Top    #16

This isn't a commercial pool you building though is it? If it is, there maybe more regulations then we are aware of.

17. Back To Top    #17

If it's a commercial pool. You have to know the regs in your location. Some localities don't allow any CYA and some regulate the amount of FC too.

If you're not allowed to have more than 3 ppm FC and you can't have CYA you're going to have to get a really oversized SWG in order to maintain the FC in an outdoor pool. You're also going to have to pick your runtime carefully so that you don't overshoot the 3 ppm FC overnight or on cloudy days.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Sorry I jumbled 2 answers in 1 post.

The place I work is commercial (a resort). That's where I need to maintain 3ppm.

The guy that wants the uv system is residential.

19. Back To Top    #19

Since it's residential, I'd go with the SWG alone and use the levels recommended here.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Since it's residential, I'd go with the SWG alone and use the levels recommended here.
    Any SWG recommended more than others? 25,000 in ground pool. Sand filter and heat pump installed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast