HELP!!! We're lost!!! New Pool! SWCG; 10,000AG... Need adv

Jul 1, 2012
We have a 10,000 AG Pool. We filled it with mostly well water (I don't know if this matters?). We have a 1.5Hp Hayward XStream Pump & Filter; and an Intex Krystal Clear SWCG. We used this pool last year - but never successfully; meaning we were constantly fighting algae (we upgraded our pump to combat some of our issues). We dumped 7 bags (40lb each) of salt into the pool 2 days ago; and started the SWCG - maybe we shouldn't have done that? We added two bags of shock (recommended by the pool place.) We also added 1lb of CYA yesterday... but most of it wasn't dissolved, so today we spread it in the water. We started with very green water; we turned toward lighter green and cloudy - but today, it seemed to turn green again. We bought the test kit from Leslie's pool center and started testing it this evening. It doesn't show any salt? Is that right, and we have very little (like barely showing up) FC. We didn't test the CYA because I've read on here that it can take days for that to show up.

Are we just being too impatient, or what are we doing wrong? We were totally amazed that there is showing no salt when we tested it? Please help us! I've read all the posts, but I just can't quite figure out where to begin!

Re: HELP!!! We're lost!!! New Pool! SWCG; 10,000AG... Need

The green is probably Iron in the water, since it's from a well. It's not really green, it's pale orange mixed with blue liner. There were several posts last week about it, try the search box using "iron".

I don't know anything about salt testing, can't help there. I checked, and 280 lbs should be plenty, though.

The low chlorine is because you have low CYA; sunlight's breaking down the chlorine about as fast as it's being generated. I hesitate to recommend adding more CYA or chlorine now, because if I recall, it messes with the sequestering agent.

Hunt up those threads, see how others have solved it.

One more question for you, when you say you added "shock" what kind was it, if it was dichlor or trichlor it will also add CYA, if it was cal-hypo it will add calcium, which may cause cloudy water depending on the calcium hardness of your fill water.

Ike

p.s. read the pool school link in the upper right of this page, then take a break and read it again, it is the best source of information you will find on how to manage a pool

As you can imagine - our filter continues to clog up... because of all the algae? I'm guessing - and should we continue to vacuum, vacuum, vacuum... or just wait? I have read the pool school and I agree there is tons of info - but none of it seems to be filling in my missing questions. I hate to be dumb, but I'm feeling lost and a bit overwhelmed by all the info I've read! :(

We added Power Powder Plus from Leslie's. (Shock)

If you have no way to vacuum to waste, your only option is cleaning the cartridge often ... at least you know you are removing everything.

That "shock" is actually Cal-Hypo so it is adding calcium with the chlorine. Would be better to use liquid chlorine through the shock process (and to do that correctly you need one of the recommended test kits ... see my signature).

Focus on these article for now (the last 3 are related to algae):
Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Shocking Your Pool

Ok, I've already read all those articles - and maybe I'm just not getting the idea? :oops: I think I'm just not being patient enough - We have the test kit suggested from Leslie's Pool - test results are as follows:
FC 0
PH 7
TA 30ppm
CH 5
CYA 0
Salt 390ppm

Here is where I'm getting confused - we added 280lbs of salt; but were told not to turn on the SWCG yet? (not sure why?)- except that we had 0 CYA which we added about 1lb (powder from Leslie's)... am I correct that the CYA will not be detected yet? If that's the case, the shock we put in (2 bags, Power Powder Plus) will be gone since the CYA isn't working yet (is it working yet?)... and do I need to keep adding Chlorine (I will buy liquid bleach tomorrow - any idea how much I'll need) until the CYA is working; then should I turn on my SWCG in hopes that it will maintain the chlorine levels by converting that salt into Chlorine.

I'm sorry, I know I seem very slow here... :hammer: I feel like such an idiot; but I am trying to make sense of it all.

After re-reading the above articles, I think I need to focus on shocking the pool - and stick by the pool to test it hourly... how much bleach should I have on-hand?

You say kit suggested from Leslies pool, do you mean one they said you should get or us? does it have the FAS-DPD chlorine test?

Your last paragraph sounds like a plan. Just shock the pool. But good to get the CYA up around 30 first to protect the FC.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Sorry, yes we have the one suggested by this website. FAS-DPD - so I'm hopeful that I have correct readings! I have entered everything in the pool calculator & am planning an early am trip to buy bleach!!! I'll keep you posted!

Welcome to tfp, newpoolfam :wave:

What was your CC level?

For bleach you will need quite a bit, around 1.5 gallons to start then every hour you will probably be adding more. I would get at least 5 gallons which should get you through the first day and night...you will probably need more than that, but you can decide when you want to get it.

Get 30 ppm of cya into the pool as soon as you can. Put it in a old sock and hang it in front to the water return back to the pool. 1 lb only raised your cya level to ~12 ppm.

Forgot to calculate the CC (hubby went to bed!); we tried the sock trick and it seemed like NOTHING dissolved (we did that Saturday)... today we finally dumped it into the strainer basket. I was going to buy the liquid instant conditioner? Will that work faster and easier? Or shouldn't I go that route? :?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Liquid is easier but certainly more expensive. If you put it in a sock, it helps to squeeze it every time you walk by.

I tell my kids to squeeze it when they are swimming as well. Also make sure it is being buffered about well by the return flow.

The liquid is a lot more expensive and there really is not need to go that route, it will show up soon enough.

Re: HELP!!! We're lost!!! New Pool! SWCG; 10,000AG... UPDA

Here are our readings:

FC 5?? See my question below these readings.
TC 5
PH 7.6
TA 130
CA 60
CYA 70

When we did the test first; the color was off the scale (which goes to 5); so we repeated the test following the directions to dilute the water and re-test - this time the reading came out to 2 - which we were to multiply by 2 = totaling 4... That seems odd, if it were 4, why didn't it read as 4 on the initial test??? Clearly chemistry was/is not my strong suit! :) Also; we ran test earlier and needed to raise the ph; we added the amount in the pool calculator - and now our PH is high... should we let this go a bit; or do I need to now get muriatic acid?

We also vacuumed many leaves and goop (dead algae) from the pool today; so I know we're on the right track... just checking in to see if anyone has any more advice. Thanks so much!

You said you have the FAS-DPD test, but you are describing the DPD or OTO test I think. Do you have the FAS-DPD test? It is not the same as the DPD test or OTO chlorine tests. My guess is your kit from Leslies does not have it.

Wait I thought we also were having you add CYA to get to 30ppm and now you are reporting 70ppm?

Oh great... Yes, I do now see that our test kit only says DPD (it doesn't have the FAS)? I think our problem is that my husband is still trying to listen to the guys at the pool place (and I'm trying to convince him to listen to this website). I mean no disrespect - I think you guys are spot on - however; my husband thinks the pool place should know what they're doing - and be knowledgeable? I guess I need to start by getting a better test kit? Honestly, I'm about ready to give up!

Are there any hopes of getting this pool clear?

Here are our readings this morning - unfortunately, I guess this is with the DPD kit; I guess I'll be ordering a different kit today!!!

FC 10
TC 10
PH 7.6
TA 140
CA 50
CYA 60

Any suggestions would be appreciated... I'll try to convince my husband to listen this time!

I think you may just need to add the FAS-DPD test. Available at tftestkits.net

I see, that would give us a more accurate reading of Chlorine. Is there anything else I need to add to my kit? Thanks for all your help so far!!! I think we're getting there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.