Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Go Chemless Bio-Sanitizer

Go Chemless Bio-Sanitizer

I like the idea, has anyone used this? If so, please advise.

Thanks

Re: Go Chemless Bio-Sanitizer

Welcome to TFP!

Yet another copper/silver system. Stay far away. See this article in Pool School to learn more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Jason, thanks!

Could someone have found a way since 2007?

No. Copper and silver both need to be at levels right around the levels where staining occurs to be effective. Even then they are only effective against algae, and not sufficiently effective against viruses and bacteria. In the US public pools are required to have residual levels of a listed sanitizer. Neither copper or silver is a listed sanitizer. Nor will adding chlorine once ever two weeks provide a suitable residual level. Following their directions will result in a pool that is not safe and as a result using their system as described in a public pool is illegal.

On top of that, the levels of copper/silver required to be effective are also the same levels that will cause dramatic and difficult/expensive to remove stains on the pool if you are not exceedingly careful to maintain the PH at low levels. PH tends to rise on it's own, so it doesn't take much lack of attention before staining starts.

By the time you have a suitable residual level of sanitizer in the water, that alone takes care of everything you need (for a residential pool). There isn't any point in adding copper/silver as it provides no additional benefit, costs extra, and runs the risk of staining.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

I've been tempted to go with Go Chemless as well since Eco Tech Pool (which uses the Go Chemless system) is based right here in South Florida.

Thank you to those of you on here for making me a little skeptical. They claim they won "Best in Show" on their website but a Google search on "go chemless" + "best in show" produces the following sites: http://bit.ly/1314Htl. They all look like sketchy sites set up with the purpose of increasing publicity. I couldn't find any known websites or news articles.

Is the Go Chemless system a huge come-on? If so, how is it legal to operate a pool company and push this product?! I'm annoyed since I live right here in South Florida.

Also, check out Go Chemless's Facebook and Twitter pages. There's definitely something fishy going on.

There are many companies pushing systems based on metals. They prey on people who are scared of "chemicals", with little understanding of what is really going on. The EPA occasionally steps in to limit their advertising claims, but for the most part they can get away with it in the US.

I don't know enough to know about chlorine and safety but those websites are terrible, which indicates a scam. I'm reading up on this forum.