recomendations for automatic pool cleaner - is it worth it

Jun 6, 2012
I'm researching purchasing a cleaner. We have difficulty vacuuming the deep end or our pool, and are really having trouble cleaning up the dead algae! Any recommendations on cleaners? Are they really worth the investment?

I was looking at the most recent Doheny catalog, trying to make sense of the different types - from the Kreepy Krauly to the Kruiser and so on. I would love feedback from those of you who have these cleaners.
Thanks!!!!

Re: recomendations for automatic pool cleaner - is it worth

megskiss:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

My pool is about the same size (volume) as yours, but I'm not clear on what kind / HP pump you have...please post when you can.

I have a Polaris 360. The nice thing about it is that it does not need a separate booster pump. I'm quite satisfied with it. If it were to break this morning, I would purchase a replacement before the end of the day.

BoDarville said:
megskiss:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

My pool is about the same size (volume) as yours, but I'm not clear on what kind / HP pump you have...please post when you can.

I have a Polaris 360. The nice thing about it is that it does not need a separate booster pump. I'm quite satisfied with it. If it were to break this morning, I would purchase a replacement before the end of the day.

Exactly that. I love my 360 :goodjob: I've had it for almost 10yrs now, and it's still working great!!

One more question for you, what type of debris do you tend to get in your pool, each of the major types of clears do best of certain types of problems. (leaves, bugs, dust, acorns or similar, etc.)?

megskiss said:
I have a pyrex triton 75 gpm filter, 50 psi. 1.5 hp. Is that the info you are looking for?

Yes, thank you :)

Your pump/filter specs are close to what mine are, so the 360 is worthy of consideration. The closest thing we have to pine needles is the occasional grass that gets blown in after mowing. In the fall and spring, the North Texas wind blows a fair amount of leaves / bracts into the pool, despite no trees in the back yard. The 360 does a great job on removing these as well as on dirt and other debris.

One other thing: I'm assuming you have a dedicated cleaner return line in your pool. If the pool does not have a dedicated return line, the Polaris 360 connects to most common return lines using special adapter kits available separately from a Polaris dealer.

Our Barracuda MX8 really helps me to reduce the frequency of manual vacuuming sessions. In fact, I haven't had to vacuum the pool in over three months because of it. It is plumbed on its own vacuum line, so that helps. But, it really does a great job for us. As for the algae issue, that should really be getting cleared up by your filter. The MX8 is good because it can pick up debris in the deep end, including when the water gets a bit cloudy after a swim party. But, it's not the major factor. I think to clear the water, you need to have a reasonable amount of water turnover and your filter should be functioning at its best. Ours is a DE filter and really scrubs the water clean. Sometimes I need to backwash or clean out the filter grids to get super clean water. But, I think this is the only downside to a good DE filter, as the benefit is very good scrubbing and particulate removal. You might also check your water for free vs. combined chlorine. You might have combined chlorine due to the algae, which means you probably need to shock the water with a stronger level of total chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have used a Pentair Kreepy Krauly for over 15 years and it does a very good job of cleaning the bottom and walls of my in-ground pool. The pool is 18 X 36 and has about 18000 gallons of water.

The Kreepy Krauly works on the water taken in by the return from the skimmer. No electrical power, no motors, only a vibrating vane that oscillates back and forth and moves the Kreepy Krauly across the pool bottom and walls. Yes, it climbs the walls and cleans them too. It moves in a random fashion and eventually covers all the pool walls and bottom.

I had a minor problem with the cleaner becoming stuck at the bottom drain. My round drain cover has a 1/2 inch high edge and if the cleaner lined up just right it could become stuck against the drain cover. I solved the problem and now the cleaner just climbs up and over the drain cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.