Storing Bleach

Vette

Jul 2, 2012
Ohio
Just got a brand new 21' round above ground. We currently have a trichlor feeder - It's OK for now, keeping the FC around 3 and my CYA is about 30. But Trichlor tablets are more expensive and I'm worried about the rising CYA. Since we are in Ohio, we have to partially drain some of the pool to winterize, but I'm not sure enough water is drained to keep the CYA from building each season. So I'm thinking about switching to bleach for my Chlorination! The pool calculator is VERY handy, big thanks to whoever made that. But my question is storing bleach. If I store it in the garage with temps in there around 70 in the summer, does it last long enough to buy multiple jugs and use them over the season, instead of running to the store to buy single jugs?

Sorry if I sound dumb, I'm the family pool water guy but I'm only 17. I just want to have a good looking pool - some of my friends' pools are perpetually cloudy and the local pool store likes to push extra chemicals (we have a Leslie's around too, but the inside is WAY too small and not many people go in there). Anyway, parents are OK with whatever as long as the water stays nice, and if bleach is cheaper that's a bonus.

Welcome to tfp, Vette :wave:

Sounds like you have a good handle on the BBB method. Just keep track of that cya and stop using the pucks when you get to 50 ppm.

Keeping bleach out of the sun and in the garage, it should keep fairly well. I would not store 6 months supply like that but 1-2 months supply should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.