Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Storing Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Storing Bleach

Just got a brand new 21' round above ground. We currently have a trichlor feeder - It's OK for now, keeping the FC around 3 and my CYA is about 30. But Trichlor tablets are more expensive and I'm worried about the rising CYA. Since we are in Ohio, we have to partially drain some of the pool to winterize, but I'm not sure enough water is drained to keep the CYA from building each season. So I'm thinking about switching to bleach for my Chlorination! The pool calculator is VERY handy, big thanks to whoever made that. But my question is storing bleach. If I store it in the garage with temps in there around 70 in the summer, does it last long enough to buy multiple jugs and use them over the season, instead of running to the store to buy single jugs?

Sorry if I sound dumb, I'm the family pool water guy but I'm only 17. I just want to have a good looking pool - some of my friends' pools are perpetually cloudy and the local pool store likes to push extra chemicals (we have a Leslie's around too, but the inside is WAY too small and not many people go in there). Anyway, parents are OK with whatever as long as the water stays nice, and if bleach is cheaper that's a bonus.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Storing Bleach

Welcome to tfp, Vette

Sounds like you have a good handle on the BBB method. Just keep track of that cya and stop using the pucks when you get to 50 ppm.

Keeping bleach out of the sun and in the garage, it should keep fairly well. I would not store 6 months supply like that but 1-2 months supply should be fine.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

You can easily store a summers worth that way. Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just so we are clear, if you use liquid chlorine (as compared to bleach), it has a shorter shelf life...so 1-2 months max on that if you want full (close to full) strength.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just to be clearer on linen's post: 10%-12% chlorine looses its strength faster than the 6% bleach
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Every year we lose the CYA totally over the winter? Not sure why but it's always zero at startup in the spring.
    10,000 gallon inground vinyl FOXX pool - built in 1999. Hayward sand filter. 3/4 HP 2-speed pump with timer. Hayward Aquarite SWG t-3 cell. Love the BBB method - pool has never looked better!

7. Back To Top    #7

I keep mine under the house.Stay's cool there.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit