Algae spores are "airborne"

May 16, 2011
New Jersey
Ok. I have a question now. If algae spores are "airborne", then does that mean that my neighbor's refusal to run his pool filter regularly and his "swamp" next door can be affecting my pool? (he opens in late June, has one party then lets it go green. Runs it in August has one party and closes it green). Because I am religious about testing and maintaining the water!! But since he let his pool "go green" last week, I've started having issues. Last night I repeated an OCLT because I thought something seemed off and I lost 2.5ppm for the first time since last July of last year. I had a SWG but it died so now I'm using BBB. I open the pool in April and close in October. Just had to ask.

Kristyn

Other pools in the area don't make any real difference. As long as you maintain appropriate chlorine (and other) levels you will be fine.

Most likely the hot weather recently has been affecting both pools.

In August of last year, several pools in my neighborhood suffered from an outbreak of algae and/or "pink algae" (FYI, the latter is actually a bacterium of the genus Methylobacterium). One of my immediate neighbors had a "pink algae" outbreak so severe that they could not use the pool for 3 weeks while it was drained/refilled and sanitized by professionals.

Fortunately for me, that was around the time I switched to the BBB method. Never had an issue. Proper FC levels according to my CYA and overall sanitation (removing debris, vacuuming) are the main defenses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.