Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae spores are "airborne"

1. Back To Top    #1

New Jersey

Algae spores are "airborne"

Ok. I have a question now. If algae spores are "airborne", then does that mean that my neighbor's refusal to run his pool filter regularly and his "swamp" next door can be affecting my pool? (he opens in late June, has one party then lets it go green. Runs it in August has one party and closes it green). Because I am religious about testing and maintaining the water!! But since he let his pool "go green" last week, I've started having issues. Last night I repeated an OCLT because I thought something seemed off and I lost 2.5ppm for the first time since last July of last year. I had a SWG but it died so now I'm using BBB. I open the pool in April and close in October. Just had to ask.

8100 Gal 12X20 vinyl IG pool. Hayward H200 heater, super pump and Pro Grid DE3620 Filter.TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Algae spores are "airborne"

Other pools in the area don't make any real difference. As long as you maintain appropriate chlorine (and other) levels you will be fine.

Most likely the hot weather recently has been affecting both pools.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW, Texas

In August of last year, several pools in my neighborhood suffered from an outbreak of algae and/or "pink algae" (FYI, the latter is actually a bacterium of the genus Methylobacterium). One of my immediate neighbors had a "pink algae" outbreak so severe that they could not use the pool for 3 weeks while it was drained/refilled and sanitized by professionals.

Fortunately for me, that was around the time I switched to the BBB method. Never had an issue. Proper FC levels according to my CYA and overall sanitation (removing debris, vacuuming) are the main defenses.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Dallas TX

Spores and such are floating around all the time, in fact we're breathing them right now. Good old Chlorine was given to us by God to kill 'em off
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side