AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital RC-42 INSTALLATION - pics...

Copperhead

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 29, 2009
Chandler, AZ
I bought a SWG from Josh here at TFP, looks like I'll get it today.
I will be replacing another system, DIY project for the 4th.
I can take pictures of the process and post them here if anyone will benefit, lemme know.
Thanks

Re: AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital RC-42 out for delivery...

OK - Here we go!

Here's the existing cell:
IMG_7965.jpg

...and the existing controls:
IMG_7966.jpg

Let see what's going on with the existing wiring:
(Note - I am experienced with electrical repair. I left the power on if needed to determine the circuits. As I suspected, residential pool wiring, no diagrams.... Better to track a circuit by voltage than by continuity with power off. As soon as I figured out the existing circuits I disconnected power to all the pool equipment at the sub panel.)
IMG_7969.jpg

Best possible scenario, relay for the pump is internal in the existing SWG as the Pool Pilot will be. O2 light is wired parallel off the motor relay. Wiring will be very straight forward.
IMG_7970.jpg

I decided to install the control unit first as the weather looks threatening. Would like to get the electrical done before everything gets muddy and wet, and early in the day before it gets too hot. I think I'd rather deal with gluing PVC than wiring in the mud and the heat!
All wires labeled.
IMG_7971.jpg

Old control box hangs on a section of super strut by a lip. New box has hang holes so here goes another trip to Home Depot, for some spring nuts. Also, note the large bolt head on the QuikChlor box... I know what that is! (pics later)
IMG_7973.jpg

OK, back from the store with the proper hardware...
IMG_7972.jpg

Pool Pilot mounted, starting to rain, better put the cover on!
IMG_7974.jpg

Here's what I knew was inside, a HUGE toroidal transformer!
Output is 9.2 amps @ 28VDC, DIG-220 output is 8 amps at an unpublished DC voltage. Transformer is much lighter and smaller. Eek! Hope this is because newer technology is more efficient and needs less power...
IMG_7975.jpg

Way less electronic circuitry inside the QuikChlor:
IMG_7978.jpg

Hey! Rain stopped, going to go finish the wiring and cut some PVC....

Re: AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital RC-42 out for delivery...

Okay, back at it, all wired up:
IMG_7979.jpg

Covers on:
IMG_7980.jpg

All ready for the cell.
IMG_7981.jpg

Little bit concerned about the weather resistance on the back of the unit.
IMG_7982.jpg

Out with the old.
IMG_7984.jpg

Well, this is going to be interesting given the horizontal layout of the manifold.
IMG_7983.jpg

The engineering side of my brain wanted everything to be at 90 degrees, but the practical side of my brain said that all that matters is that the cell is perpendicular and the manifold is level, and leave enough room to work on stuff in the future. So I cut 1-1/2" sections of 2" pipe to dry fit things until I was happy. Everything is kinda cramped in this area and this unit does take up more horizontal space than the one it replaces, so I hope I came up with a good compromise.
IMG_7985.jpg

Operating the controls and programming was a little difficult at first. Instructions are not written with much care as the multiple typos would indicate. Here's a helpful tip: Buttons are slow to react, you have to hold them a second for something to happen. At first I thought I had a bad unit until I discovered that merely pushing the button does not work, you have to hold it in for more than momentary contact. After I got the hang of the button speed it was not too bad. Display is a little small and hard to read in direct sunlight. QuikChlor's large red LED display was easier to work with. Pool Pilot has many more settings and options. Would be nice to be able to access a setup application online and load a setup via a USB thumb drive or something, limited GUI with the small LED display.

Everything is running and not leaking. Still have to figure out where to see the salt, chlorine and PH levels from the sensor.
EDIT: Got it, TriSensor does salt ppm, water temp, and flow, does not detect chlorine and PH.

Overall, easier to wire than I anticipated, little more plumbing than I anticipated. I will probably fabricate some sort of weather and sun protection for the unit. Angled pad and display on top, open seams on the back seem like weak spots to me.
Here's hoping I can get the same or better life out of this unit that I did from the one it replaced, eight years.

Re: AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital RC-42 INSTALLATION - pics..

Update - Making plenty of chlorine at 50%, cell power amperage @ "2"

Starting to dial it down. Scalable power should come in handy in cooler weather, a little more control. Pool Pilot has three power amperage settings, I'm assuming these are different taps on the transformer. I'm on the middle power now.

Re: AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital RC-42 INSTALLATION - pics..

Thanks! Very happy it's working great and I don't have to worry about my pool every single day. Still pretty early on, but this is the most difficult time of the year for the pool, and I'm having to actually turn it down, and I'm on the intermediate power level. My concerns about this unit generating enough DC power, and my concerns of the cell having way less plates than the previous unit were unfounded.
Frame on this unit is stainless steel. Construction and components look to be very good. Plastic shell is a little suspect. Hope they UV torture tested this material.
Sincerely hope this cell and drive can go eight years or more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.