Pool pump replacement recommendations

May 28, 2009
Hello all,

I had my pump go out yesterday after a power outage and am going to look at it tonight to see if it is the capacitor and if I can turn the impeller easily. I am guessing my bearing are locked up though.

In any case I was looking for new pumps yesterday and am overwhelmed by the choices and overall lack of information on the web.

it is a fairly old challenger pump (1 hp 1.25 max hp) and I am looking to replace it with an energy efficient dual speed pump. I was thinking about variable speed pumps but my kw/h are most likely not expensive enough to worry about.

I believe my THD is around 65 (heater, dial, sand filter) and my max GPM on my sand filter is around 60 which appears to be my limiting factor.

I am guessing that I need a 1hp pump and was looking to pay around 500- 700 bucks but I am flexible on my cost. Any insight or experiences are welcomed.

Thanks again,

Derek

If the pump wet end is still in good shape, a cheaper and simpler solution (no plumbing changes) would be to swap out the motor with a two speed.

The wet end consists of everything but the motor, housing, impeller, diffuser, etc.

Assuming you now have the CHII-NI-1A pump, a very good high efficiency motor would be the A.O.Smith B2980 (230v) or the B2981 (115v). You will need to buy a new seal too (Go-Kit 5).

mas985 said:
The wet end consists of everything but the motor, housing, impeller, diffuser, etc.

Assuming you now have the CHII-NI-1A pump, a very good high efficiency motor would be the A.O.Smith B2980 (230v) or the B2981 (115v). You will need to buy a new seal too (Go-Kit 5).

I haven't been home yet to determine the type of challenger I have yet as I am still at work but should I get the 3/4 or 1 hp motor? The 3/4 is special order at a1parts.

In any case I believe everything else is in working order. Anything to check for?
Do I have to buy a Controller to determine the speed and flow rate? Any recommendations?

Thanks for the suggestion as it looks like it will save me a ton of money.

You can either get a timer to select speeds, or just wire in a toggle switch to manually select between high and low (that is what I currently do ... my Superflo had the switch pre-installed, but the wiring is simple).

Both motors will work since they are actually the same size THP (Label HP * Service Factor). The only difference is the supply voltage so you need to determine that before ordering.

mas985 said:

I do have that challenger pump. Where can I pick up a good toggle switch?

In the long run a two speed timer will make you life much easier. Most pools with two speed pumps need some time at high speed each day for skimming and using a cleaner. If you don't think this will be an issue, then you could possibly get away with a switch.

This timer will not only turn on and off the pump and specific times, you can also control when the low speed vs high speed runs:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T10604 ... =t104+t106

mas985 said:
Both motors will work since they are actually the same size THP (Label HP * Service Factor). The only difference is the supply voltage so you need to determine that before ordering.

My fuse says 250v 30amp and my switch housing also says 240v 30amp my pump says 115/230.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mas985 said:
In the long run a two speed timer will make you life much easier. Most pools with two speed pumps need some time at high speed each day for skimming and using a cleaner. If you don't think this will be an issue, then you could possibly get away with a switch.

This timer will not only turn on and off the pump and specific times, you can also control when the low speed vs high speed runs:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T10604 ... =t104+t106

Sounds convenient and awesome. Will buy.

EDIT: any specific reason to not buy they digital one? It's only $20 more.

Just depends on whether you think a digital one is worth the money. The mechanical ones can take a beating and run for a LONG LONG time, and parts are easily replaceable. Not sure if the electronic ones are quite as robust ... maybe they are.

Your current pump is probably dual voltage so it can run either way. However, 2 speed motors are not wired that way it is either or. So you will need the B2980 unless you want to rewire the breaker box.

jblizzle said:
Just depends on whether you think a digital one is worth the money. The mechanical ones can take a beating and run for a LONG LONG time, and parts are easily replaceable. Not sure if the electronic ones are quite as robust ... maybe they are.
Good point. I bought the mechanical.

mas985 said:
Your current pump is probably dual voltage so it can run either way. However, 2 speed motors are not wired that way it is either or. So you will need the B2980 unless you want to rewire the breaker box.
Yeah I think it is dual voltage. I am fairly certain it is 230w. Going to buy the 230w but am getting the 1hp due to the delay in shipping.

Anyone know how to surge protect so this doesn't happen again?

Did you figure out that it was a power surge that took the motor out. In the beginning you were thinking it may be bearings. If it were the bearings it wasn't a power surge.

However, if you're prone to surges; Intermatic, Leviton, Panamax, Square D and a whole host of others make a whole house surge protector. Those are your best bet. You can usually find them at electrical houses and big box stores.

TheExecutive said:
Going to buy the 230w but am getting the 1hp due to the delay in shipping.
So if you are getting the B2981, that is 115v which means you will need to change the supply voltage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.