Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool pump replacement recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump replacement recommendations

Hello all,

I had my pump go out yesterday after a power outage and am going to look at it tonight to see if it is the capacitor and if I can turn the impeller easily. I am guessing my bearing are locked up though.

In any case I was looking for new pumps yesterday and am overwhelmed by the choices and overall lack of information on the web.

it is a fairly old challenger pump (1 hp 1.25 max hp) and I am looking to replace it with an energy efficient dual speed pump. I was thinking about variable speed pumps but my kw/h are most likely not expensive enough to worry about.

I believe my THD is around 65 (heater, dial, sand filter) and my max GPM on my sand filter is around 60 which appears to be my limiting factor.

I am guessing that I need a 1hp pump and was looking to pay around 500- 700 bucks but I am flexible on my cost. Any insight or experiences are welcomed.

Thanks again,

Derek
    25,000gal IG Vnyl pool/Challenger 1HP Pump/ Triton II Sand Filter/Denver, CO/ Complete Noob at pools and anything to do with them (besides swimming)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump replacement recommendations

If the pump wet end is still in good shape, a cheaper and simpler solution (no plumbing changes) would be to swap out the motor with a two speed.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    If the pump wet end is still in good shape, a cheaper and simpler solution (no plumbing changes) would be to swap out the motor with a two speed.
    What do you mean by the pump wet end and do you have any recommendations as to the motor?
    25,000gal IG Vnyl pool/Challenger 1HP Pump/ Triton II Sand Filter/Denver, CO/ Complete Noob at pools and anything to do with them (besides swimming)

4. Back To Top    #4

The wet end consists of everything but the motor, housing, impeller, diffuser, etc.

Assuming you now have the CHII-NI-1A pump, a very good high efficiency motor would be the A.O.Smith B2980 (230v) or the B2981 (115v). You will need to buy a new seal too (Go-Kit 5).
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

The wet end consists of everything but the motor, housing, impeller, diffuser, etc.

Assuming you now have the CHII-NI-1A pump, a very good high efficiency motor would be the A.O.Smith B2980 (230v) or the B2981 (115v). You will need to buy a new seal too (Go-Kit 5).
    I haven't been home yet to determine the type of challenger I have yet as I am still at work but should I get the 3/4 or 1 hp motor? The 3/4 is special order at a1parts.

In any case I believe everything else is in working order. Anything to check for?
    Do I have to buy a Controller to determine the speed and flow rate? Any recommendations?

Thanks for the suggestion as it looks like it will save me a ton of money.

6. Back To Top    #6

You can either get a timer to select speeds, or just wire in a toggle switch to manually select between high and low (that is what I currently do ... my Superflo had the switch pre-installed, but the wiring is simple).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Both motors will work since they are actually the same size THP (Label HP * Service Factor). The only difference is the supply voltage so you need to determine that before ordering.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

I do have that challenger pump. Where can I pick up a good toggle switch?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the long run a two speed timer will make you life much easier. Most pools with two speed pumps need some time at high speed each day for skimming and using a cleaner. If you don't think this will be an issue, then you could possibly get away with a switch.

This timer will not only turn on and off the pump and specific times, you can also control when the low speed vs high speed runs:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T10604 ... =t104+t106
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Both motors will work since they are actually the same size THP (Label HP * Service Factor). The only difference is the supply voltage so you need to determine that before ordering.
    My fuse says 250v 30amp and my switch housing also says 240v 30amp my pump says 115/230.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the long run a two speed timer will make you life much easier. Most pools with two speed pumps need some time at high speed each day for skimming and using a cleaner. If you don't think this will be an issue, then you could possibly get away with a switch.

This timer will not only turn on and off the pump and specific times, you can also control when the low speed vs high speed runs:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T10604 ... =t104+t106
    Sounds convenient and awesome. Will buy.

EDIT: any specific reason to not buy they digital one? It's only $20 more.

12. Back To Top    #12

Not as far as I can see - I'm using an electronic timer on my electric water heater (for the house), and I wouldn't mind swapping the mechanical one currently on my pool for an electronic one.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Just depends on whether you think a digital one is worth the money. The mechanical ones can take a beating and run for a LONG LONG time, and parts are easily replaceable. Not sure if the electronic ones are quite as robust ... maybe they are.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Your current pump is probably dual voltage so it can run either way. However, 2 speed motors are not wired that way it is either or. So you will need the B2980 unless you want to rewire the breaker box.
    Mark

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Just depends on whether you think a digital one is worth the money. The mechanical ones can take a beating and run for a LONG LONG time, and parts are easily replaceable. Not sure if the electronic ones are quite as robust ... maybe they are.
    Good point. I bought the mechanical.

16. Back To Top    #16

Your current pump is probably dual voltage so it can run either way. However, 2 speed motors are not wired that way it is either or. So you will need the B2980 unless you want to rewire the breaker box.
    Yeah I think it is dual voltage. I am fairly certain it is 230w. Going to buy the 230w but am getting the 1hp due to the delay in shipping.

Anyone know how to surge protect so this doesn't happen again?

17. Back To Top    #17

Did you figure out that it was a power surge that took the motor out. In the beginning you were thinking it may be bearings. If it were the bearings it wasn't a power surge.

However, if you're prone to surges; Intermatic, Leviton, Panamax, Square D and a whole host of others make a whole house surge protector. Those are your best bet. You can usually find them at electrical houses and big box stores.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by TheExecutive
    Going to buy the 230w but am getting the 1hp due to the delay in shipping.
    So if you are getting the B2981, that is 115v which means you will need to change the supply voltage.
    Mark

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by TheExecutive
    Going to buy the 230w but am getting the 1hp due to the delay in shipping.
    So if you are getting the B2981, that is 115v which means you will need to change the supply voltage.
    Actually it is the b2982 am I still ok?

20. Back To Top    #20

B2982 is a 230V 2-speed 1HP... so should be fine with your current wiring ... just a little larger than the 3/4HP pumps Mark mentioned
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast