Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No suction when I try & vacuum to waste

1. Back To Top    #1

No suction when I try & vacuum to waste

Hi,

First post to this forum - I have an inground pool with sand filter system & salt generator.

My problem is that I tried to vacuum to waste yesterday & found that there was no suction coming from my deep end skimmer (had main drain & shallow end skimmer shut) or vacuum hose. It worked fine with the dial set to filter & I have no problem backwashing so I know my waste piping is working right. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No suction when I try & vacuum to waste

Any chance you lost prime? You probably have increased flow when going to waste, and a single skimmer may not be able to supply enough water to the pump.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply John, its very possible that I lost prime, I will open my main drain a little just to get enough water to keep prime. Thanks for the advice. Question though - when I vacuum through filter setting, I have the same setup main drain and shallow end skimmer closed & have no problem - wouldnt I lose prime here as well?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportzNut
    Thanks for the reply John, its very possible that I lost prime, I will open my main drain a little just to get enough water to keep prime. Thanks for the advice. Question though - when I vacuum through filter setting, I have the same setup main drain and shallow end skimmer closed & have no problem - wouldnt I lose prime here as well?
    Going to waste, you don't have the resistance of the filter against the pump, so it moves more water. More water going through the pump increases the demand on the inlet ports. I'd start with everything open to make sure you hold prime, the gradually close the others until you get to the point you have good suction but the vac doesn't stick too much.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I will try it this evening. Thanks John

6. Back To Top    #6

Any advice when you only have 1 skimmer and no drain? I'm having an issue of maintaining prime when vacuuming to waste.
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

7. Back To Top    #7

A problem of losing prime is a suction leak somewhere. Check the hose and vacuum plate. Then start checking the pump basket lid o-ring and the drain plugs.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, thanks! I think it's the hose. It keeps kinking up.
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah it probably has some pinhole leaks from the kinks.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit