Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Daily Chlorine Test Kit, Which One?

1. Back To Top    #1

Daily Chlorine Test Kit, Which One?

So the TF-100 comes with the Taylor K-1000 Chlorine/pH kit for daily testing, which is the OT method. For about the same price, the K-1001 kit does the same test (although, I guess it's FC, instead of TC), using the DPD method. Which would be better to get, considering I will already have the FAS/DPD comprehensive test when needed?
    1,720 Gallon Intex 12' x 30" Metal Frame AGP w/ 1-1/2" Retrofit Intake/Exhaust | Intex SWCG w/ 2,800 GPH Sand Filter Pump controlled with Aube TI062/U Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Daily Chlorine Test Kit, Which One?

The OTO test (T-1000) is always able to detect the presence of chlorine, the DPD bleaches out above 10 ppm. I would use the OTO or FAS-DPD (not DPD) for daily measurements.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

An OTO test in fine for everyday testing when you need to just detect the presence of chlorine, or less than 5 ppm. Use FAS/DPD test for higher and more accurate testing, as well as OCLT when needed.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, guys, I'll just go with the OTO test then. Seems easier to do as well.
    1,720 Gallon Intex 12' x 30" Metal Frame AGP w/ 1-1/2" Retrofit Intake/Exhaust | Intex SWCG w/ 2,800 GPH Sand Filter Pump controlled with Aube TI062/U Timer