Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Measuring bleach or MA

1. Back To Top    #1

Measuring bleach or MA

What is the best way, or best thing to use, to measure the bleach? Last night I had to add a portion of a 182 oz bottle. I estimated cuz I didn't have anything to use to divvy it up. I will eventually need to do the same with MA. I could go buy a measuring cup just for the pool, but that's such small increments. I'm sure y'all have this down pat. Thx!
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Measuring bleach or MA

I have a plastic 2 cup measuring cup I bought at Leslies. I can read the graduations from the inside that way, so I can look down on it when I'm pouring MA in.

Bleach I just guess. It usually wants a quart, or a half gallon, and I can get close enough by eyeball. When in doubt, I go generous. A little extra chlorine won't hurt.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, sir!
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Just a regular measuring cup is all I use. Last year I had a larger one (think it was designed for agricultural/horticultural use - like adding fertilizer or pesticide), but this year I just have a cheap $1 one from Wal-Mart. (It's 4.5 cups) It's fine for the size of my pool. WHEN we go larger, I'll buy the ag one again.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

5. Back To Top    #5

I use a one cup glass measuring cup. I rinse and leave it in the chemical cabinet in the garage so there is not chance of a mix up in the kitchen.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58
    I use a one cup glass measuring cup. I rinse and leave it in the chemical cabinet in the garage so there is not chance of a mix up in the kitchen.
    You like to live dangerously! I don't allow any glass around the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I found a 4 cup plastic measuring cup in the dollar section at Target. It even has the perfect handle to hook on the outside of the pool fence - keeps it handy!
    AG, 10,400 gallons, filter cartridge, 2HP pump
    Coffeegoddss...bonafide thread killer!
    POOL SCHOOL...fortheloveofgawd, read POOL SCHOOL

8. Back To Top    #8

I use a 2 quart plastic sterilite water pitcher. I measure the bleach in the pitcher and then add the bleach to a bucket of water and slowly dump in front of my return.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

9. Back To Top    #9

I've got a tea pitcher that I marked in 1 cup increments. I use that for BIG additions. For the most part however I've got a plastic set of measuring cups that I use. One for bleach...one for MA. Never mixed. ;D

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a 32oz quick mart cup for measuring the bleach. It gets me close...

Don't measure the MA! It's too dangerous to pour it from one container to another. Read this: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread ... -s-pH.html

Approximate the dose, error on the low side, test, and dose again as needed.
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*

11. Back To Top    #11

Measuring bleach or MA

I bought a nice Lexan measuring pitcher from a restaurant supply. It was 10 bucks and measures up to 2 quarts with marks every four ounces.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100