That Last 10%

Yes. Shocking is a process, not a one-time event. At 40 ppm, you'll want 16 ppm FC or so and keep the pump running to filter out what you can. Brushing helps dislodge anything attached to pool surfaces and get it exposed to chlorine to kill it and to get it filtered out.

Things are starting to turn for the better I think. Green/blue haze has turned to a blue haze and getting clearer.

Readings last night:
FC: 17.5
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.6
TA: 80

Reading before the sun hit the pool this morning:
FC 15.5
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.4

Hoping that one more night of shock will finally knock things out. Very hot here and we really want to get into the pool.

Two other quick questions:

1) will a solar cover that was exposed to algae last season, but since then has been dry and stored, harbor any algae when put on the pool this season?

2) When we bought our house, we discovered that the main drain is plugged -- likely intentionally. We are waiting until we have to replace the liner before we try to repair it. But would the area below the grill of the main drain harbor enough algae to feed a bloom? I can't reach inside the grill with a brush and I'm worried about unscrewing the grill.

Thanks.

Very hot here and we really want to get into the pool.
The forum guidelines suggest that swimming in a pool up to shock level is ok. I would swim in your pool.

Interesting question about algae in the main drain. I suppose you could take a squirt bottle of bleach and swim to the bottom and inject it directly into the drain. Probably not necessary but won't hurt a thing.

behind an pool light you might have is a more suspect place to find hidden algae.

Thanks very much Dave. We don't have a pool light, so don't have that to worry about. We do live in the woods and have tall trees on two sides of the pool, including one very tall one that has a couple of branches that hang over the deep end. The likely source of organic matter that launches algae blooms? I'm going to start using polyquat on a regular basis to see if that helps keep the lid on algae.

Any thoughts on the solar cover?

Pool is clearing up nicely today -- I may want to run one more shock and overnight test to be sure.

One strange thing: I tested FC after the sun went off the pool this evening and it was 9.0, down from 15.5 this morning. I checked CYA which I measured a couple of weeks ago at about 35-40, and it was down to just about -0-! I ran the test correctly. Only thing that's changed is that I've shocked a few times over the past week and added polyquat. Only other thing I can think of is that I mistakenly left my open test kit in the sun for a couple of hours last week -- would the CYA reagent be affected by that?

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.