Determining the safety of Pool Chemical products

May 2, 2012
I have a salt water pool. I have been lucky so far, to have 2 summer's of relatively free maintenance. (My testing seems to come in within limits every time.)

The only chemical aside from the Salt, that I've been adding to the pool this year is BioGuard Pool Magnet (remedy).

I fill the pool a couple of inches once a week or two with water that has high iron content.

My question is, how can I determine the safety to humans using this product? Obviously the manufacturer will tell you its safe. Are there any other information sources for this kind of thing?

Thanks!

This info is extremely helpful. Thank you. I never knew this kind of info was available.

However, it doesn't really help me with what I am wondering about. For instance, it states that it is corrosive to the eyes. That's pretty darn scary. Are there any watchdog groups out there that test these products at certain concentrations in the pool?

Frankly when you see something like that, it makes you want to live with an iron stained pool.

Thanks again.

The primary chemical in that metal sequestrant is HEDP. Note that the hazards listed in the MSDS are referring to concentrated product, not diluted in large volumes of water as in pools. It doesn't appear to have any significant dermal absorption and it's oral toxicity is of the same order of magnitude as chlorine or ordinary table salt. It doesn't produce hazardous by-products and when it slowly breaks down from chlorine it produces orthophosphates which aren't a problem though are a nutrient for algae. So long as you maintain proper chlorine levels, that shouldn't matter.

Kind of off topic, but ....
I am surprised that your pH is not continually rising due to the SWG ... thus requiring addition of muriatic acid.

Do you have a full set of test results we could check out? I suppose it is possible that with a low TA the pH is stable, but that seems pretty rare.

Just want to make sure some issue is not sneaking up on you.

I check my pH with 2 different methods. Neither of which is top of the line, but both report very close results. (I don't know the pool jargon, forgive me.) One is the cheapy test strips, and the other is the colored drop based tests. Last year my pH did rise, but I was new to the system and probably over used the 'shock' feature of the SWC. This year I've only shocked the pool once after a big party, and the salt level dropped according to the SWC forcing me to add salt.

I have a 22,000 Gallon pool and keep the SWC set at 20%.

Which kit? Ideally it is the K2006. If not you still should buy the FAS-DPD test from tftestkits.net

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes the k2006. Interesting point. For my 22,000 gallon pool, the Acid demand test recommended 3.x lbs of dry acid. (I think my pH was about 8.0) The side of the acid container recommends 1/2 that amount. I went with the test kit. Since last year I couldn't get the pH down according to lesser test kits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.