Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New water in 12 year old pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

New water in 12 year old pool.

A friend of mine is buying a house and the pool has been empty for some time. Several months we are guessing.
    Anyway, I'm filling tonight and should have it filled up by tomorrow night.
    I'm a little new at pool ownership myself but I'm helping him out since he still lives in Oregon.
    So my question is this.
    What do I need to do to get it up and going. I tested the fill water.
    FC is 0
    CH is 300
    TA is 100
    CYA is 0
    14,000 gallon plaster pool with SWG
    I added a few pucks so I'd at least start adding CYA and put a little chlorine in there as I'm filling.
    This pool is in Mesa Arizona and hot temps lately. 105+. We are filling it before the sale is done so the plaster won't crack.
    Any suggestions????
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New water in 12 year old pool.

The first evening after the pool is full and the pump is running add 2 ppm of chlorine.

Raise CYA to between 30 and 50.

Don't put trichlor tablets in the skimmer unless you are running the pump 24/7.

You may also need to balance the PH, depending on what the fill water PH is.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New water in 12 year old pool.

Whoops! I forgot to mention the PH is good at 7.2
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.